Our mission

Is this toad stool ok?

fishy408

Supporting Member
Is this toad stool ok with the shrooms at the base?
thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8885.jpeg
    IMG_8885.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 56
No expert advice by any means, but leathers leach chemicals into water column as their method of warfare.

Mushrooms have very short tenticals that pack a sting typically not a issue with having corals near them, though it Maybe a issue in your case due to them actually touching each other. In the long term I would assume eventually one would take out the other.

Of biggiest concern to me would be the
chemicals they could leach into the water effecting other corals.

I have a few different leathers, and I typically always run carbon in the filtration as prevention to absorb them. Yours is still pretty small so it may not pose a serious issue.

If it was me I would attempt to separate them from each other. That way they both are happy. Nice mushrooms by the way.

No expert advice by any means, but leathers leach chemicals into water column as their method of warfare.

Mushrooms have very short tenticals that pack a sting typically not a issue with having corals near them, though it Maybe a issue in your case due to them actually touching each other. In the long term I would assume eventually one would take out the other.

Of biggiest concern to me would be the
chemicals they could leach into the water effecting other corals.

I have a few different leathers, and I typically always run carbon in the filtration as prevention to absorb them. Yours is still pretty small so it may not pose a serious issue.

If it was me I would attempt to separate them from each other. That way they both are happy. Nice mushrooms by the way.
Thanks for the insight. I am running carbon also. Maybe the plan is to frag the shrooms on the disc in the near future.

If the leather is new it might just be stressed. If it’s old it might be shedding. If algae starts to collect on it or it starts to mush/smell bad, that’s not good.

When my leather used to get pissy, it would stink up the tank with some rubbery smell. That’s the terpenes that @MichaelB was mentioning them releasing (it doesn’t always get high enough concentration to smell)

Only a few days :). Person i purchased it from mentioned it would take a month before it opens considering the time it was cut.

They are all different as are tank conditions. The Ones I've fragged typically only took a few days to extend polyps, hit me up in the future if yours doesn't eventually perk up. I still have some neon toadstool frags .

Attachments

• 20240504_181618.jpg
    20240504_181618.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26
Back