got ethical husbandry?

January Tank Spotlight is Mozby

Thanks once again for the nomination for the tank spotlight award this month! First off, I apologize for neglecting my second journal and promise to update it this year.
We learn so much from fellow hobbyist who willingly share their reefing adventures, so its only right that I do my part and share mine... and I will. I am thankful for this
club and appreciate the friends I've made as well as the advice, opinion, help, corals, I have received. Also thank you to the BOD and volunteers, who constantly take
time out of their busy schedules to organize events for everyone.

Background
2.5yrs ago, I wandered into an LFS for fun and bought my daughter a betta fish. It was then that I realized I wanted to start a saltwater tank. 6 months later I set up my
first tank - a Nuvo 20. Right about a year after that, the 20 was getting too full and the right opportunity came up, so I upgraded to a 70g tank.

The Tank
Cadlights Artisan II 70G - LPS dominant mixed Reef. Here are a few front tank shots in various stages of progress:

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

FTSpeak.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

The Equipment
Controller - Apex EL
Lights - Ecotech Radion XR30 G4 Pro (2)
Powerheads - Ecotech Vortech MP40 (2)
Return pump - Reef Octopus Varios 4
Heater - Finnex Titanium 300W
Fuge Light - AI Prime Fuge
Sump - Cadlights stock sump (30g) with some modifications
Skimmer - Reef Octopus Regal 150SSS
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155
ATO reservior - Custom Acrylic 12 gallon from Plastic Builders
Doser - Kamoer X1 Bluetooth (2)
Reactor - BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor Deluxe (only running carbon 1 week per month)

IMG_6423.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

Livestock
Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
Royal Gramma
Tailspot Blenny
Banggai Cardinal (2)
Blue Tang
Tomini Tang
Firefish
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Lyretail Anthias
Mandarin Goby Dragonet
Neon Dottyback
Carpenter Wrasse
Blue Spotted Jawfish

Feeding
Daily: Morning - Pellets via autofeeder, Night - Rotation of frozen foods (LRS reef frenzy, fish eggs, mysis, spirulina brine, etc), Reef Energy A & B
2x/3x per week - Reef Roids, Phyto Feast, Oyster Feast

Maintenance
7 gallon water change weekly plus trimming chaeto. Manual dosing of Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD.

Water Parameters
SG - 1.026
ALK - 8.4dkh
CA - 410
MG - 1350
NO3 - 10ppm
PO4 - 0.06

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

More pics to follow....

Man can I come to steal your tank :D. I love it. It would be nice if you get some closeup pictures of the corals like last 2 pictures.

I only dosed they Red Sea colors abcd when I stopped doing water changes. You do them in addition to water changes right? Does the salt mix you use not seem to have enough trace elements?

I only dosed they Red Sea colors abcd when I stopped doing water changes. You do them in addition to water changes right? Does the salt mix you use not seem to have enough trace elements?
Yes and yes. Back when I had my 20g, my coral colors started to look a little lackluster even though they continued to grow. So I started dosing trace and the vibrance has returned.

Back