Reef nutrition

Jon's S500 Build (The big move)

jonmedina

Supporting Member
Introduction and Background

So I am posting this a bit prematurely, however I'm hoping for any feedback or thoughts along the way, so I figured might as well get things started now as we're about to move this tank on Saturday. I will provide updates and plenty of pictures as we go through the process.

I started out reefing with a 30-gallon tank that was given to me by a friend. It had a cannister filter I had to modify in order to work for my saltwater setup, along with other assorted pieces of equipment that I sorta hacked together. This setup was a trial, a way for me to understand whether this was going to be worth the investment in time and resources. The limitations of this initial setup soon became painfully apparent. From the ugly clutter of cobbled-together gear, to the limitations on the size and goals I had, it was clear that if I wanted to continue I was going to need an upgrade. Additionally, I had not anticipated my family getting so involved and their enthusiasm for the project.

How I Acquired the new rig
Turns out there is a guy up the street from me who is also going through life changes (new baby among other things). He had a RedSea Max S-500 135-gallon tank that he unfortunately realized he could no longer keep. He gave me a fantastic price on the system to include livestock, corals, upgraded Bubble Magus skimmer, upgraded Kessil lights, and a chiller. This was a pretty big step up from my current setup, a bit bigger than I'd planned, but it was a great deal and could finally be a tank I could have long term, so I decided to pull the trigger.

Current Status and Plan

Immediate Actions: Moving the thing

This coming Saturday AM, a professional reef tank mover is scheduled to help with the transition. The new tank will claim a prime spot in my living room. To make room for it, the 30-gallon tank will be temporarily relocated to another part of the same room until I transition everyone out and then it will become a quarantine tank.

Livestock and Coral Transfer Plans
The new tank currently hosts:
  • Two Clownfish
  • Puffer
  • Yellowfin Tang and Sailfin Tang
  • Corals: Zoas, and mushrooms
After giving the new tank a few weeks to stabilize, I plan to begin the process of transferring the fish, corals, and inverts from the 30-gallon setup and turning it into a QT system. The list includes:
  • Fish: Two Clownfish and one Chromis. The clowns have a special place in my heart as they were in a very poorly maintained tank and were really sick and I've successfully nursed them back to health.
  • Corals: Zoas, Duncan, kryptonite candy cane, green yuba mushroom, paly, hairy mushroom, green favia, frogspawn, torch, and octospawn.
  • Inverts: Two Peppermint Shrimp and one Emerald Crab, a buncha snails and hermit crabs

Current Concerns and TODOs (Thoughts and feedback appreciated)

Livestock Concerns/TODOs

• Puffer Rehoming: The puffer in the new tank poses a threat to my inverts and coral plans. He's absolutely adorable, and I'd love to keep him, but I may soon be thinking about rehoming him.
  • Clownfish Safety: Integrating my rescued clownfish with the existing clownfish in the new tank is a concern. I'm worried about territorial issues. I'm getting an acclimation box and am going to do my best to introduce them safely, but I'm pretty worried about this bit. Any wisdom is appreciated.
  • Any other concerns introducing the corals. All my corals are pretty hardy so I'm not too worried, but just keeping tabs on it and continuing to research.
Technical TODOs
  • Understanding Lighting: I need to spend time understanding how to optimize the lighting for my corals. Will be needing a PAR meter and learning how all this works.
  • Assessing the Need for a Tank Cover: Not sure if I need a tank cover, definitely would rather not find any fish on my living room floor
  • Chiller Evaluation: The chiller occupies valuable dry cabinet space. I need to assess whether it's necessary for my setup or if the space could be put to better use for ATO jug or something else.
  • Mastering the Sump: While I understand the basics of how a sump works, there is a learning curve ahead. I need to understand how best to partition the sump for what I need.
I'll keep you all posted, and again, feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the support so far!

That’s a huge huge upgrade! Super happy for you! New reefer here but the par meter saved my tank. Was running my cheap lights way too low and “ I thought” I was burning my corals. It was easy to use too. Just take a picture of your tank and hold the sensor leveled up taking in the light. Then right the numbers at different heights/depths. Lots of peoples tank journals have their readings pictures.

That’s a huge huge upgrade! Super happy for you! New reefer here but the par meter saved my tank. Was running my cheap lights way too low and “ I thought” I was burning my corals. It was easy to use too. Just take a picture of your tank and hold the sensor leveled up taking in the light. Then right the numbers at different heights/depths. Lots of peoples tank journals have their readings pictures.
Great to hear, thanks for the tips.

post a pic of your sump and we can help explain it to you. a mesh cover is cheap insurance against jumpers. mated clowns can jump to attack. check your normal room temp to see if you need a chiller.

So yesterday was a long day; the move started at 10 am and finished at 6 pm. The process was time-consuming due to the extensive cleaning required for the sump, calcium buildup, and plumbing. However, the system is now mostly spotless and ready to go. Also moving that thing out of a second story apt was a real fun and stressful experience.

Decisions Made:
  • Replaced the sand completely as the old sand had really never been cleaned.
  • Introduced my two rescued clowns to the new 135-gallon setup. The idea was to let all the fish establish their territories afresh.
  • Removed MarinePure blocks due to them completely crumbling and being a mushy mess.
  • Added beneficial bacteria to speed up the cycling process and stabilize the water parameters.

Observations:
  • Tangs are adapting well, picking at the rocks doing tangy things.
  • Original clowns have settled into a mushroom and seem content.
  • The clowns from my original tank insisted on staying near the new clowns and were getting picked on and stressed as a result. They are now in a acclimation box inside the tank.
  • The polyps, zoas and mushrooms seemed to handle the move just fine. There was a little damage but by the evening they were opening up and looked okay.
Concerns:
  • Early signs of territorial issues among the clownfish.
  • The complete removal of all the sand combined with removing the MarinePure blocks has me a little worried it might cycle the tank. I'm hoping there's enough bacteria in the rocks to be okay.
TODOs:
  • Get drapes for the sliding door near the tank
  • Fix the built-in ATO, which is currently missing a float.
  • Learn how to set up and plumb the phosphate reactor (not a huge rush)
  • Add a bag of MarinePure balls to replace the removed MarinePure blocks.
All my corals are still in my original tank. Planning to give it a couple weeks of parameter monitoring and stabilization before transferring them to the new tank.

Attached pictures of the move. First picture (plus bonus dog) was my existing setup. You can see the condition of the sump and the sand and things so it was a much needed cleanup. I'll post a picture as the water continues to clear.

Attachments

• IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7321.jpeg
    IMG_7321.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7315.jpeg
    IMG_7315.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 86
Three-week short update...
  • Coral Health: The corals are the healthiest they've ever been. Everything is looking pretty good minus a candy cane I can't seem to please no matter what.
  • Aiptasia: Had a little aiptasia outbreak, man that stuff grows faster than I ever thought possible. However, I was lucky enough to run into with a fellow reefer who had a filefish for trade so I figured I'd give it a shot vs using F Aptasia or the like. After a short quarantine period, as soon as I dropped him into the DT the thing ate the crap out of all the aiptasia in the tank over the course of like 3 days. It was insane. So far he's not messing with the corals, but i'm going to keep an eye on it.
  • Paly Overgrowth: The palys have been a bit too enthusiastic in their growth, and they're not particularly nice-looking ones, so I've cut most of them back to save real estate for some other corals I'm looking at. Given their not-so-striking appearance and aggressive growth pattern, this decision was for the best. Further trimming is on the horizon.
  • Phosphate Levels: Phosphates are higher than I'd like, contributing to some diatom growth but still manageable. I suspect this is due to my feeding habits. To ensure that the less aggressive fish get their share, I tend to feed a bit generously. However, I'm fine-tuning it so I think we should be good.

• Salinity: 1.026
  • Temp: 78
  • pH: 8.2
  • Alk: 9
  • Ca: 440
  • Phosphate: 0.17 ppm
  • NO3: 5 ppm
  • NO2: 0 ppm
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
A big shout-out to the community! The support, invaluable advice, and constructive feedback have been awesome.

IMG_7648.jpeg

How's the saddled toby done for you? I've heard they can munch on a lot of invertebrates, but they're really cool looking.

@Kensington Reefer - yeah tangs came with the tank. Pretty sure that yellow fin is one of the bigger tangs you can get too. Definitely gonna have to rehome him at some point.

@Darkxerox so far so good. I was worried about it but he hasn't shown any interest in them, and I have some small peppermint shrimp and things in there.

@Kensington Reefer - yeah tangs came with the tank. Pretty sure that yellow fin is one of the bigger tangs you can get too. Definitely gonna have to rehome him at some point.

@Darkxerox so far so good. I was worried about it but he hasn't shown any interest in them, and I have some small peppermint shrimp and things in there.
Sooner is probably better
For your corals and the fish
They will break your “sticks”!

Short update - everything is growing like crazy. The random candy cane and mushrooms I picked up from @Finnaddict have tripled in size and my JF beach bum is probably 8 inches across - going to frag a few pieces of it.

Picked up a Naoko Wrasse a few weeks ago, which is fast becoming my favorite fish. Flash of color at the top of the tank that is smart enough to act as a goalie at the overflow during feeding time and picks off food before it goes in.

The big box pet store near me had a tank crash and I got some fish from them for almost nothing just bc they didn't want them to die. So if anyone needs a small neon dottyback or a couple small clowns, lmk they're in my QT, happy to talk when they're done.

Thanks for all the help everyone has been!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 55
Candy cane looks great! Mine is been unhappy since I got it about a month ago! My tank is relatively new so might have to wait to establish good parameters.
I would love to home the neon dottyback just depends on your location!

Candy cane looks great! Mine is been unhappy since I got it about a month ago! My tank is relatively new so might have to wait to establish good parameters.
I would love to home the neon dottyback just depends on your location!
Read up on them first, they can be extremely aggressive.

Short update - sent water away for ICP testing and was a bit surprised by some of the results. Need to do a bit more homework but my initial reaction was a little confusion about some of the low numbers of trace elements specifically 0ppm iodine and manganese. I have All for Reef on a doser putting in 30mL per day which was what I found to be the sweet spot to keep my Calc around 420-450 and my Alk at around 9-11. I can't imagine the corals are sucking down that level of trace elements, and didn't think that I would need to consider dosing other things in addition to AFR. So I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
Back