Cali Kid Corals

kinetic Reefer 170

We had a German Shepherd puppy for about 6 weeks and couldn’t get her to stop nipping at the kids (drawing blood). Somewhat normal puppy behavior but our kids were so afraid of her and none of the puppy classes were helping so we had to make to decision to find her another home.

My sister in law is getting a puppy this coming weekend.
Must be that time of year?

Don't worry, even the worst puppy is WAY easier than those screaming little brats we pop out.

Got the little fluff ball! Send pics of yours when you got it.

OMG! Adorable! Girl/boy? Name!? How has the pup been?

So I went to the vet, and they gave me a free interceptor dose. I was thinking, "hmm, useful for my tank..."

Anyway, here's my girl:

46806283182_3da2d52bbc_b.jpg

46806282602_e0215d908b_b.jpg

Fish tank light cast a weird blue hue on her in this shot, bleh:
46133420374_3f48458601_b.jpg

I can't believe those wires are still intact...
39893415833_8592dde82f_b.jpg

We had a German Shepherd puppy for about 6 weeks and couldn’t get her to stop nipping at the kids (drawing blood). Somewhat normal puppy behavior but our kids were so afraid of her and none of the puppy classes were helping so we had to make to decision to find her another home.

Yeah, a lot of pups like to mouth, and it takes awhile to learn bite inhibition. I know a lot of people who discourage getting a puppy until kids are over something like 8 to 10 years old. Or adopt a well behaved adult.

OMG! Adorable! Girl/boy? Name!? How has the pup been?

So I went to the vet, and they gave me a free interceptor dose. I was thinking, "hmm, useful for my tank..."

Anyway, here's my girl:

46806283182_3da2d52bbc_b.jpg

46806282602_e0215d908b_b.jpg

Fish tank light cast a weird blue hue on her in this shot, bleh:
46133420374_3f48458601_b.jpg

I can't believe those wires are still intact...
39893415833_8592dde82f_b.jpg

Her name in Mowgli, from the jungle book. She is super cuddly. She likes to play for like 30 minutes. Than pass out on my lap for a hour. Haha.

What is an interceptor dose?

And your pup is so photogenic! Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her name in Mowgli, from the jungle book. She is super cuddly. She likes to play for like 30 minutes. Than pass out on my lap for a hour. Haha.

What is an interceptor dose?

And your pup is so photogenic! Beautiful!

Mowgli is a great name. 30 minutes? Lucky. My pup, Kea (named after Mauna Kea), needs a solid hour of training and mental stimulation, then passes out for almost exactly 1.25 hours. I haven't done much physical exercise with her other than tug and a ton of training.

She was house trained pretty much from the get go, but will have accidents if I f-up and don't realize her zoomies or whimpering is her telling me she needs to go pee outside. I set timers for every 1 hour to start watching for signs. Yesterday I had 0 accidents! Today I had one because I forgot her last outing was only a poo and was confused to why she was chomping everything and not being her sweet self. Poor girl was trying so hard to hold it.

Mowgli is a great name. 30 minutes? Lucky. My pup, Kea (named after Mauna Kea), needs a solid hour of training and mental stimulation, then passes out for almost exactly 1.25 hours. I haven't done much physical exercise with her other than tug and a ton of training.

She was house trained pretty much from the get go, but will have accidents if I f-up and don't realize her zoomies or whimpering is her telling me she needs to go pee outside. I set timers for every 1 hour to start watching for signs. Yesterday I had 0 accidents! Today I had one because I forgot her last outing was only a poo and was confused to why she was chomping everything and not being her sweet self. Poor girl was trying so hard to hold it.

The breeder we got her from had a few kids. And I think they carried he puppies for a long time. Entire time we were there talking and getting the pup. Two kids held other ones asleep in there arms.

So I assume the dog is just used to it and comfortable. But she’s getting more brave around the cat. One day they will play together. Haha

Haha. That’s good your learning the behavior. My pup hasn’t quite learned about going outside yet.

Haha. That’s good your learning the behavior. My pup hasn’t quite learned about going outside yet.

Yeah! The breeder setup a big box in their play pen that was full of wood chips (absorbent). She started with just their bed and the wood chip box. All dogs, even young puppies, have an instinct to not potty in their sleeping space / den. The pups all poo and peed in the wood chip box. Then the breeder increased the size of the pen as the pups were consistent. Finally they got the whole room and did great with going in the wood chips. At home I've been crate training her at night and during naps. she'll yelp and whine a certain way when she needs to pee/poo since she won't go in her crate. Bringing her outside and giving her the command to pee/poo right before she does it, then using a clicker and a treat after has really got it in her brain to go outside to potty.

OK, quick update: my tank is still alive. Somehow with almost no water changes, and no dosing, it's been great (maybe even better). My Alk is almost non-existent, my NO3/PO4 is still almost completely non-existent, I haven't dosed anything in forever, yet it's still fine. Yesterday I cleaned the gyre, did a big water change, changed the carbon finally, etc. and the tank looks great. Other than almost zero growth, coloration etc. look fine. If I took a photo, it would almost look exactly like it did last year. Talk about consistency haha.

On a different note, my pup has been growing... fast.

Back in January:
32059161647_a07729b07c_b.jpg

February:
48001492808_2fee365a77_b.jpg

May:
48010421702_7fb6fdfcb7_b.jpg

She's a beautiful dog, so incredibly sweet. She is also really silly, and is proud of herself when she does funny things like tossing a toy up and hitting herself in the face. Though she's recently gotten extremely fast and strong, she's still a clumsy 7-month-old puppy. She's about 60 lbs now (up from 15 lbs when we first picked her up), looks kind of like a wolf, and likes to destroy leaves.

Awesome tank! May I ask how you did remove the paint or foil from the back glass. I am currently thinking about buying a 170. Thank you very much for your help and stay healthy. Greetings from Munich, Germany. Thilo

Awesome tank! May I ask how you did remove the paint or foil from the back glass. I am currently thinking about buying a 170. Thank you very much for your help and stay healthy. Greetings from Munich, Germany. Thilo

You just need to lift a corner. I did it with my fingernail, but if you want it easier, you could quickly lift the corner with a razerblade. Then just slowly pull. There was no residue left over. It took a few minutes, but overall it is a very trivial task and nothing to worry about.

Back