got ethical husbandry?

krak256's 80g build

What kind of gyre do you have on the right side? I just ordered a Jebao to try out. I was getting tired of all the dead spots and additional pumps all around the tank. Do you find that the MP40 and gyre "collide" in the middle of the tank, causing uneven flow?

What kind of gyre do you have on the right side? I just ordered a Jebao to try out. I was getting tired of all the dead spots and additional pumps all around the tank. Do you find that the MP40 and gyre "collide" in the middle of the tank, causing uneven flow?
That’s a 120, same one you are getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a 120, same one you are getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Correct it is a 120.

and yes, i noticed that it does collide in the middle and pushes my sandbed which is quite annoying. the only way i could somewhat combat it is to aim the gyre upwards and push the mp40 off to the side.

Correct it is a 120.

and yes, i noticed that it does collide in the middle and pushes my sandbed which is quite annoying. the only way i could somewhat combat it is to aim the gyre upwards and push the mp40 off to the side.

I don’t have sand in my tank (for that very reason) but have a lot of lps in the bottom center that won’t like that extra flow. I’m considering mouthing the gyre vertically in the back corner but we’ll see how that goes. Will report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have sand in my tank (for that very reason) but have a lot of lps in the bottom center that won’t like that extra flow. I’m considering mouthing the gyre vertically in the back corner but we’ll see how that goes. Will report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because of lack of tank height and how wide the mp40 pushes the water, i actually got a scp70 to replace it. however that one still ended up churning my sand so i'm think of mounting it on the back vertically. let me know how your flow changes

It's been a while since I've updated so wanted to share a new FTS:
IMG_0974.jpg

Since my last post, I got a few new fish and frags:
- added a blue star leopard wrasse
- added two maxima clams
- gold torch
- gigantea anemone
- lost my flasher wrasse; somehow he jumped through the slit on the edge of the screen where pump wires run through

I saw this gigantea at a store that was bleached but looked healthy otherwise. It was at a great price so I decided to give it a shot. It initially looked like a green gigantea:
IMG_0721.jpg

Since July, it has colored up to be a mix of green/white and purplish/tan:
IMG_0978.jpg

A few other shots:
IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

Currently I'm battling a bit of cyano likely due to my phosphates running at 0.4. Although my ammonia, nitrates, and nitrate are registering at 0, I suspect the algae (esp the chaeto and hair algae in sump) are consuming it.

I'm running GFO now and will likely cut back on feedings (especially frozen as I was using it to entice the new blue star leopard to eat). If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

I'm running GFO now and will likely cut back on feedings (especially frozen as I was using it to entice the new blue star leopard to eat). If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.
check out @Rostato‘s post about removing his turf scrubber, a member commented about the relationship between N and P. I believe you may need more nitrates to have the phosphate balance? But please do some of your own research to confirm. I’m still learning it myself

A lot of people with very low Nitrates, and moderate Phosphates, report Cyano problems.
GFO + Adding Nitrate to get N/P ratio right can really help. I have done both with some success.
But don't do anything drastic or sudden.
Unfortunately, once established, it usually takes more.
Siphon Cyano out aggressively, even possibly the top layer of sand, replacing with a bit of new (pre-washed) sand as needed.
I added a small tube about pencil sized inside my normal siphon, for precision siphoning around corals and rocks.

Are you also carbon dosing?

A lot of people with very low Nitrates, and moderate Phosphates, report Cyano problems.
GFO + Adding Nitrate to get N/P ratio right can really help. I have done both with some success.
But don't do anything drastic or sudden.
Unfortunately, once established, it usually takes more.
Siphon Cyano out aggressively, even possibly the top layer of sand, replacing with a bit of new (pre-washed) sand as needed.
I added a small tube about pencil sized inside my normal siphon, for precision siphoning around corals and rocks.

Are you also carbon dosing?

i am not carbon dosing at all. never tried it before. I will take a look into it

Wow! Great tank and aquascape. The KP Aquatics live rock is great, I used 25# in my tank as well and interesting micro/macro flora and fauna continue to creep out of it.

Back