Cali Kid Corals

L&B’s new red sea 250

Update-right now parameters are looking good 4 months in. Corals seem to be doing ok. The Yuma and mushroom provided by @JVU -are doing fantastic.

Fish on the other hand have not fared as well -def have seen some higher than expected casualty rates-couple jumpers (now we have a lid) and the rest who knows..
last tank did pretty well. Only lost a few fish in the end (except for a sailfin) due to a bad water mix one time.

149565B9-42CB-42CC-88E9-BFFBA4C06BA5.jpeg

Ok the sea reef mat roller 500 is installed. I had Aquatic collection do the install due to the sump modifications needed. It took them an hour and 1/2 for set up (that includes draining water from sump) Would have probably taken me longer.
On the 250 it def takes up a lot of space in the sump.

The apparatus itself is fairly easy to set up. Worth the price of admission as in an hour the water was much more clear than it had been.

Attachments

• 32AD278D-357A-46F0-A9E5-52F9D76971D5.jpeg
    32AD278D-357A-46F0-A9E5-52F9D76971D5.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 95
Well -overdue for an update.
At the moment things are…a challenge
High nitrates and phosphates-nitrates hit 30 and po4 hit 1.5. Used nopox and nitrates are back to 5 and po4 down to 1.1. See if I need to add some gfo to kick po4 back down.

Bubble algae. Some have seen the post of the infestation. Bought an urchin who has not much to date since I bought him last week. He moves a bit around the sandbed but unclear if he is doing ok. He still has his spines so..?

Picked up 3 emerald crabs today. On one hand -they started on pretty fast on the escaped sea lettuce and bubble algae but it appears they knocked over one coral already.

I also see signs of an aiptasia invasion.
All these issues will be tackled. Just not going to stroke out over this..

It is interesting though that I really had none of this issues in the previous tank but it is whAt it is

SOTT -State of the Tank (one yr in)
Overall -I think the tank is doing pretty well. Corals seem to be growing and doing ok. Nitrates test (via Hanna) came in ~5 and PO4 is above .9 again but it constantly errs so I take it with a grain of salt. A lot of the SPS are doing well nonetheless as well as my softies.
Fish on the other hand-I have seen number of losses including a bristletooth tang and a tiger shark goby in the last couple of weeks. Unclear as to something in the water, bullying, or something else. Had a couple of jumpers in the beginning of the year and so I now have a lid. Right now still left with 11 fish I think unless there is a goby or a blenny hiding somewhere. I want to replace the sand sifting goby but I'll wait on another tang for a bit.

It is definitely filling in by the pics. Hopefully I can begin to frag some SPS and donate back to the DBTC. I have been donating equipment where I can to people but would like to contribute more with corals.

Happy to be part of this club and feel fortunate that it exists locally. Looking forward to seeing some you again the next HTA event.

I was trying to upload some images buts it's not cooperating at the moment.

Well-as they always say-don’t mess with things right before you leave -and if on cue-the trident went down. It has a “no water error” that I tried to clear before I left this morning. The tubes all looked connected and every thing looked on so really at a loss to the problem.

I had to move the trident around to make space for an other container and doser for alk solution as a back up for the falling alk.

I had upped the all for reef and it looked it was doing it’s job. I have someone coming in that can test the alk mid week. Other than that-enjoy the vacation-and hopefully all be ok for two weeks.

Update May 3rd-
The protein skimmer finally back online!
Trident repaired and back online!
Neptune ATK replaced by the new Red Sea ATO. Slightly rough start with a defective unit but Red Sea sent a replacement and is working well thus far.

Bad news that the two birdnest colonies and another SPS coral went down fast due to RTN. Saved 4 frags of the birdnest-two have survived thus far and no survivors of the other SPS colony. Bah.
40% water change done over three days. Hopefully no other losses will occur...

Update May 3rd-
The protein skimmer finally back online!
Trident repaired and back online!
Neptune ATK replaced by the new Red Sea ATO. Slightly rough start with a defective unit but Red Sea sent a replacement and is working well thus far.

Bad news that the two birdnest colonies and another SPS coral went down fast due to RTN. Saved 4 frags of the birdnest-two have survived thus far and no survivors of the other SPS colony. Bah.
40% water change done over three days. Hopefully no other losses will occur...
40% over 3 days in total?
I would do 40% each water change
IMHO

Agree with Erin. As long as the water is at temp, there's really no issue. Your denitrifying bacteria are almost all surface dwelling.

40% over 3 days in total?
I would do 40% each water change
IMHO
I would do that but my resevoir is only 10 gallons -so 18% per day tops if I am not home. I can do another 10 gallons tomorrow and then prob 5 gallons Friday (I'll be out again) so in total 60% over the last couple of days. If If I get back to AC Friday -then perhaps 15 gallons Friday and another 10 Saturday (will be gone)

I think we were both thinking 5 gal buckets or brute trashcan, siphon out a ton, replace. I guess you do an auto water change?

Sounds like a very uphill battle...
I highly recommend
Long hose with a valve, and a strong pump
30 gal brute can (or larger)
Heater and power head
New water should always be at proper temp, salinity, and pH
And always have more new water than you take out!

IMHO

Sounds like a lot of fish in that tank. I would definitely hold off on anymore fish even if the tank was running well. Maybe add some bio media to the sump.

I think we were both thinking 5 gal buckets or brute trashcan, siphon out a ton, replace. I guess you do an auto water change?
Sounds like a lot of fish in that tank. I would definitely hold off on anymore fish even if the tank was running well. Maybe add some bio media to the sump.
There are a lot of fish in the tank. I am about to give the chromis away (4) and a purple dottyback.

I think between carbon, protein skimmer and the amt of live rock it’s ok.
Ammonia is generally always 0 when I get it tested.

Back