Our mission

Lazy Tang?

newfly

Supporting Member
I have a 4-5inch Purple Tang. Pretty healthy, nice coloration and can be bossy at times. I had the tang for slightly over a year. I have not seen the tang eat any algae on the rock. He will eat nori, pellets, frozen ext but just not algae in the tank. I have all types of algae in the tank. :) That guy is just not interested. So much for tang for algae control.

Taste...
Ease of access...
Your food selection seems to be more desirable
Hopefully the fish is well fed with “proper” body form...it’s not starving and emaciated

Tangs are over rated for algae control unless your talking about bristletooth. I’ve noticed the smaller species do more work. Yellows are ok. Large tangs. Forget about it. Lol.
Don’t get me wrong. They do some. But not a whole lot. Rabbit and foxface. Those guys put in some work.

I have had three tangs now. Blue tang did nothing. Sailfin kept the bubble algae under control (while foxface did nothing)
(Last tank)

In the new tank I now have a bristletooth who is a beast. The bristle has just started liking pellets though-both good and bad (bad as in eat the algae, eat the algae)

The blenny eats it off the wall (because of how aquarium is kept back wall and one side is left “natural” ) and not the rock usually. But is effective against algae
What kind of algae BTW?

The bristletooth didn’t really touch the red hair algae when I had that but does eat the green.

My next fish in the line up for algae control is
Court jester goby.

The blenny eats it off the wall (because of how aquarium is kept back wall and one side is left “natural” ) and not the rock usually. But is effective against algae
What kind of algae BTW?

I have Bubble, GHA and i think Gelidium, Red Wiry Turf

I have a aggressive neon dotty back. I don;t think i can add any other fish like goby

I have Bubble, GHA and i think Gelidium, Red Wiry Turf

I have a aggressive neon dotty back. I don;t think i can add any other fish like goby
I could see problems there. How big is the tank? If it’s 90 or above the sailfin might help-esp with bubble algae. The dottyback prob won’t mess with that.

Its 4ft 65g. My algae problem is not that bad, or i should say i learn to live with it. a single purple tang is already iffy on the 4ft tank, let alone a second tang.

Remove dottyback ( temporary)
Add small foxface and algae Blenny...gobies don’t eat algae
After a month, return the dottyback
But there is a very good chance that the tang will go nuts after the foxface

Back