got ethical husbandry?

Leemar Starphire 290

gimmito said:
Kris...can I just copy and past my reply to your thread on RC ? :bigsmile:

I have (2) 6100's doing just that on the left and right sides of my tank. The other (4) 6205's are placed lower to middle of the tank to address dead spots. Two other thoughts are adding a wavebox or purchasing a 6105 and adding a sea sweep. When I had one hooked up to a 6205 + a wavebox, I had some nice radom flow. I can lend you the sea sweep to try out if you like.

I forgot about the sea sweeps Jim. I do like those, however I also like having a clean look to the top of the tank since I left it open. Hmmmmmm.......that is a good thought though. Thanks.

scuba71 said:
Love the colors on these corals. What are the last three coral?

I'm not sure what the first of the three is. It was a tiny brown acro when I got it. Then it got pale purple with bright yellow polyps and then changed to a deep purple with a green flourescence and kind of dark green polyps under the kessils. It is very beautiful and VERY difficult to take a picture of. LOL! I am really bummed I had to hack it up, but I have at least 3 frags that look like they are going to make it. Maybe up to 5. Fingers crossed.

The second is a blue tenious......I got a small frag from Jim (Gimmito) when I first started the tank and it has blown up. Baby blue tips and the body is now a dark greenish color. Great polyp extension and fast grower. Thanks Jim. ;)

The third was the Ponape Birdsnest. I lost it as well, and only have a tiny 1" frag left. Seems like that is doing well though. I like the birdsnest corals a lot.

Kensington Reefer said:
Hey Kris
How is the blue leptastrea doing?

Hi Erin,

It is about the same as it was. It looks good, but hasn't started spreading out yet. I placed it right next to my orange Leptastrea that is spreading nicely. It also took a long time to start the spread though. Gary Parr was mesmorized by it when he was here. He took a lot of photo's of it. I have not seen them yet though. Should be cool.

I can spend what seems like hours looking at my near empty 20 gallon... Not sure if I would ever find time to do anything for else with that in the living room.

monkeybiz said:
I can spend what seems like hours looking at my near empty 20 gallon... Not sure if I would ever find time to do anything for else with that in the living room.

I know exactly what you mean. No matter what I am doing, I always get sucked back into the tank. I now understand my Grandmothers obsession with gardening, constantly fussing over her plants.

Some new shots of the tank. Taken with my iphone. For some reason it gets the best color of all my camera's.

Side view. I happen to feel the clove polps are beautiful. I doubt I could get rid of them, even if I wanted.

I estimate this guy at 14-16" People freak out when they see it (my non-reef friends that is). There is another that is a little smaller.....maybe 12"

This is the left side, back wall. I moved the rocks away from the back wall and stacked them a little higher. It's made a nice ravine between the front rocks and the back. I ended up adding two more Tunze 6105's to the system. I was able to rearrange them and get a beautiful flow pattern out of all 6. I haven't found any dead spots yet. I was also able to change to the 18V fuses instead of the 24V. The flow has better coverage and is a bit more mellow at the same time. Very pleased.

Back