Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Leemar Starphire 290

Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
He's gonna die now that you took a pic. Shame!

LOL! Nah, he still doesn’t have a name, so we are good. Actually looking great today. I have had my hand in the tank all day and he is following me and picking at the rocks as they get moved, or turned over. Woo Hoo!!
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Finally moved the green tenuis to a new rock. This one is pretty delicate, so was pretty worried about the move. Luckily it went well. Now to get the big monster rock that it was originally sitting on out of the tank. :(

107C909E-04D2-4951-9EC7-F916FB13F12C.jpeg

3371FD6A-4DEA-419F-AFEC-18FE455CF3F3.jpeg
78CE6A77-CD9F-4F74-9881-D12359245AC5.jpeg
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
2,268
That's really nice Tenius I can't find the frag you gave me it fell and forever gone


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Well, after several weeks of pulling stuff out, chiseling off unwanted corals and pests, re-glueing corals and frags, blah, blah, blah.

I now have a re-assembled reef. went for a much lower, more open concept. Hoping to give each coral enough space to thrive for more than a few months. Also wanted to be able to appreciate the real colors of the SPS, by being able to see the tops of them. Each coral should have plenty of light and flow. I have less types of coral, and fewer coral colonies, but each one has more space to grow and get BIG!!! So the plan goes. We’ll see.

Anyway, here are some pics. I took a video with the phone, but it seems to really suck when uploaded to the internet. So I’ll probably take a better quality one with my camera soon.
What do ya think?




412BE86B-A379-41FA-AAB8-3E2F4B3C9A63.jpeg
D5EF1164-0C47-4624-8055-AE2DAAF457C0.jpeg
B8F78874-575C-4768-B56A-97700079961A.jpeg
C4E6AF4E-24FB-4345-B505-4272BFC93613.jpeg
8127E43D-2C11-4C94-9680-6F9D90C89762.jpeg
EA9361BA-7181-4FDD-8E7D-9BE18E5852F3.jpeg
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
The Orphek Atlantic V4’s

Well, I have had these up and running for several weeks now. I have made a custom lighting schedule with sunrise / sunset and created some pretty crazy looks with the Kessils added in.

My impressions so far are that it is a pretty impressive light. It makes the aquarium extremely bright at even 50% intensity. It covers very evenly and gets rid of most shadows. It does have a significant “disco” effect that is kind of annoying if you are staring at the sand. However, if you are looking at the corals or fish, they look crisp and bright with no visible disco on the corals themselves. If you aren’t staring at the sand, it’s not too noticeable on the overall look.

I don’t think I would be happy with this light as the only light source. However, with the kessils in the back, it eliminates a lot of the disco effect, increases the overall shimmer and at sunrise and sunset creates an insanely awesome ethereal vibe. I freaking love it!

Love having full control over all the lights from the couch. Orphek control app is pretty good. Not super intuative, but not difficult either. I bought the kessil spectral controller and have the wides and Narrows controlled separately.

The corals have responded VERY well to the new lights. I think the color has actually improved in most of the corals. I’m guessing this is due to the fairly large amount of UV light it has, and several different spectrums. I can’t get a good shot with my phone of the bonsai, but it’s pretty amazing under these lights. The other coral with a major change is the space invader pectina. It suddenly has these insanely bright green “lightning” like lines through it. I’m interested in how it will look after a few months under these. Here are some pics.


72DA97AE-EADE-41CA-8628-60C7B3C972F3.jpeg
663ECD27-D216-4058-9454-13F525178959.jpeg
EBD1F5C2-3C52-4B23-AAA2-2E34DAE47C12.jpeg
E58CD21D-16CD-41E7-8DE5-78E97B2E094E.jpeg
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
8,543
Standing on chair clapping
My compliments to the chef

The fish thank you for the provided swimming space

Love it
Feed it

Best fishes and happy reefing
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
Amazing tank.
I like the open look!

But expect to do a lot of pruning.
Once corals get a bit bigger, they really start to grow fast.

We are looking forward to those frags you prune off. :-)
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2016
Messages
16,464
now i wish I picked up the lights at your place instead of meeting you halfway... do you have anything else to sell?
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Looks amazing Kris. I will be picking your brains soon. [emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick away. I’m free Sunday if you are serious about moving the tank in. [emoji106]
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
1,018
Pick away. I’m free Sunday if you are serious about moving the tank in. [emoji106]

I am very serious. If you’re available that would be awesome. I’ll start the BBQ too... to make sure I feed you and the other gang that are coming. So far I have two other folks committed.

Let me know and I’ll pm you my address

By the way, I am thinking around 11:30-12pm. Would that work?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top