Cali Kid Corals

LF a Web UI engineer

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I’m trying to piece together a system for DBTC and all of the cloud “solutions” I have tried fall short for various reasons. I looked at Airtable, Coda and Zoho. The latter could probably work but is a little pricey.

We need something simple and I can handle the database, server and coding side of things. But...I am completely incapable of doing UI work. So, I would need someone to help build two forms for me: one to add a DBTC item and another to give someone a frag of an item.

I don’t think it would take up too much time.

Let me know if you are willing and able!

Will google forms be too primitive?
If it's basic HTML5 / CSS3, I can try and help :)
Yeah, I’ve thought about this before and thought there’s probably a way to achieve it with google forms and then sheets for the data storage. I don’t really know UI but I would like to help in anyway I can. DBTC is rad

Reactions: JVU
What are you trying to get it to do? If it's just a database for who did what, you can easily set up Google forms/sheets to do this. Input name of giver, frag, and who it's given to, and it will populate it into a database.

A database is easy, but if you give full access to the entire database to the whole club, we’ll end up with a giant mess. If you let everyone view it and choose a few select editors, we’ll end up with bottlenecks.

So, the alternative is to put a simple facade on the database so that members can add items and also give out frags of their own items. And...frags of frags.

The owner of a frag should also be able to note that it was lost or died.

And, it would be nice to be able to manage a queue of people that are interested in a particular item - even when several members have a frag of the original. You could, for example, automatically connect people based on geographical distance...

You could also track link completion.

And you could get a lot of neat insights/views into the data.

Imagine:

8b6ea8c38664fbaf6b479ed63d0df8f4.jpg

(The above is using dummy data I’m playing with)

Database with forms front would allow people to enter their info without accessing the sheet itself. But ya the thing you show would be way cooler

This may have already been asked, but has anyone looked at open source family tree/genealogy software that might be a starting place? It seems like a similar application just with corals vs people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A database is easy, but if you give full access to the entire database to the whole club, we’ll end up with a giant mess. If you let everyone view it and choose a few select editors, we’ll end up with bottlenecks.

So, the alternative is to put a simple facade on the database so that members can add items and also give out frags of their own items. And...frags of frags.

The owner of a frag should also be able to note that it was lost or died.

And, it would be nice to be able to manage a queue of people that are interested in a particular item - even when several members have a frag of the original. You could, for example, automatically connect people based on geographical distance...

You could also track link completion.

And you could get a lot of neat insights/views into the data.

Imagine:

8b6ea8c38664fbaf6b479ed63d0df8f4.jpg

(The above is using dummy data I’m playing with)

Awww... you used my AoG as dummy data!!!

The tree view is a bonus feature and there are several ways to generate it. We need to start with the basics - adding a new "mother" to DBTC and allowing the owner of that "mother" to give frags to others. Then, the owners of the frags can give out more frags...

When I was poking around a while back, there were some Orchid type sites that were a good match.
They propagate those like we do coral, and there is a wider user base.
But nothing obvious was free.

I'm happy to help. To build two forms should not be too complicated. Any preferences on the backend?
I agree two forms would not be complicated at all. It sounds at the foundation, one form to create a root of a tree. And then another to create a child of the tree.

I’m trying to piece together a system for DBTC and all of the cloud “solutions” I have tried fall short for various reasons. I looked at Airtable, Coda and Zoho. The latter could probably work but is a little pricey.

We need something simple and I can handle the database, server and coding side of things. But...I am completely incapable of doing UI work. So, I would need someone to help build two forms for me: one to add a DBTC item and another to give someone a frag of an item.

I don’t think it would take up too much time.

Let me know if you are willing and able!

As others already mentioned, google forms and google sheets can definitely handle the rudimentary task of allowing users. As you pointed, the problem forms is either everyone can fill out the form or too few can edit it. What if a new google sheet was created for each DBTC, we could have a template stickied in the forum. The whenever a chain is completed, the owner of the chain can add the new chain as an editor to the sheet. In this way, only people in the chain can edit it, and it is controlled. Google sheets can even publish a tree diagram, that can update based on changes in the sheet live (I think still need to test in a thread, not sure if browser caches will affect it EDIT: nevermind, looks like it is a static picture. Booooo! EDIT Again: It does sync, just delayed a few minutes (~10)):

pubchart

Of course our own application could be better since we have complete control of functionality. It sounds like you already have a plan of what you would like to accomplish and how you would like to do it. So I have a few questions, just to try to clarify exactly what is needed. Of course I would be willing to help wherever there is a need.

1. What are the functionalities that are expected? So far this is what I got.
    1. User can create a new mother frag. This will be the "root" of the "tree".
    2. User can create a new "child" in the tree each with a new owner.
    3. Users can only create a "child" for a frag that they are the owner of
  2. For the database, what do you have in mind for the tables, relationships etc.? I have an idea about how I would approach it, but curious what you had in mind. I think that, along with the essential desired functionality, would be an important place to start, and I would be willing to help with that.
  3. You mention you would handle coding. Were you referring to the backend part of things, and if so what language/framework did you have in mind?
  4. It seems that authentication is also a key feature, so only frag owners can add children to their own frags. How were you envisioning this? Is this application supposed to be embedded into the Forum and then somehow use the Forum authentication? Or is this going to be a separate application that will be outside the main BAR forum and people will have to make accounts for it?
These are kind of my initial thoughts when looking at this project.

Last edited:
I agree two forms would not be complicated at all. It sounds at the foundation, one form to create a root of a tree. And then another to create a child of the tree.

As others already mentioned, google forms and google sheets can definitely handle the rudimentary task of allowing users. As you pointed, the problem forms is either everyone can fill out the form or too few can edit it. What if a new google sheet was created for each DBTC, we could have a template stickied in the forum. The whenever a chain is completed, the owner of the chain can add the new chain as an editor to the sheet. In this way, only people in the chain can edit it, and it is controlled. Google sheets can even publish a tree diagram, that can update based on changes in the sheet live (I think still need to test in a thread, not sure if browser caches will affect it EDIT: nevermind, looks like it is a static picture. Booooo! EDIT Again: It does sync, just delayed a few minutes (~10)):

pubchart

Of course our own application could be better since we have complete control of functionality. It sounds like you already have a plan of what you would like to accomplish and how you would like to do it. So I have a few questions, just to try to clarify exactly what is needed. Of course I would be willing to help wherever there is a need.

1. What are the functionalities that are expected? So far this is what I got.
    1. User can create a new mother frag. This will be the "root" of the "tree".
    2. User can create a new "child" in the tree each with a new owner.
    3. Users can only create a "child" for a frag that they are the owner of
  2. For the database, what do you have in mind for the tables, relationships etc.? I have an idea about how I would approach it, but curious what you had in mind. I think that, along with the essential desired functionality, would be an important place to start, and I would be willing to help with that.
  3. You mention you would handle coding. Were you referring to the backend part of things, and if so what language/framework did you have in mind?
  4. It seems that authentication is also a key feature, so only frag owners can add children to their own frags. How were you envisioning this? Is this application supposed to be embedded into the Forum and then somehow use the Forum authentication? Or is this going to be a separate application that will be outside the main BAR forum and people will have to make accounts for it?
These are kind of my initial thoughts when looking at this project.

You asked enough questions that I think it’s worth me starting a design doc.

Back