Kessil

Lids totally ruin rimless tanks

I'm not sure if it would work, but I was thinking of writing some code that uses computer vision to detect a fish jumping. Computer vision is so easy to integrate and train these days, and writing an iPhone/Android app is even simpler. I wonder if I could just setup a spare iphone as a webcam, but also detect things flying out of the water.

The only problem is, I need training data for that to work, so I'd need a bunch of fish flying out of the water...

I'm not sure if it would work, but I was thinking of writing some code that uses computer vision to detect a fish jumping. Computer vision is so easy to integrate and train these days, and writing an iPhone/Android app is even simpler. I wonder if I could just setup a spare iphone as a webcam, but also detect things flying out of the water.

The only problem is, I need training data for that to work, so I'd need a bunch of fish flying out of the water...
You need this on top of your tank. But with more lasers. Lots more.
:)
grid.jpeg

Lol! At a Neptune presentation at MACNA in Vegas they asked what new device or Apex component they should produce and that is what I proposed - an anti-jump force field.

Lol! At a Neptune presentation at MACNA in Vegas they asked what new device or Apex component they should produce and that is what I proposed - an anti-jump force field.
You could do this. Depth sensors or just use computer vision, and then when you detect a jumper, you can release a burst of pressure downwards. Something like a big speaker could theoretically create downforce enough. But then it would just be a bit “lid” on top. Back to the drawing boards

I see my tank like an art piece in the room, almost more than actually just looking at what's in it. This is probably a different perspective than others, so my definition of "looking nice" is almost purely just looking at the tank in the room. I really love that open top, rippling water look. And of course it's impossible to see down into it from the top, but the tank+water itself is beautiful if done right.

At times I feel like I'm more about the tank itself than the animals inside. Don't get me wrong, I love the animals, but the tank has to look awesome.
I have a rimless tank full of sand and rocks. Not even water in it. I just like the look.

I see my tank like an art piece in the room, almost more than actually just looking at what's in it. This is probably a different perspective than others, so my definition of "looking nice" is almost purely just looking at the tank in the room. I really love that open top, rippling water look. And of course it's impossible to see down into it from the top, but the tank+water itself is beautiful if done right.

At times I feel like I'm more about the tank itself than the animals inside. Don't get me wrong, I love the animals, but the tank has to look awesome.
My possibly favorite thing at the Art Institute of Chicago, a world renown art museum, was the really nice glass cases they had around some things. They had one area that was under rehab, and had a couple empty glass cases. I spent longer than I should have looking at it.

Similarly, back in the day I loved the glass box design blog. He had a rimless cube with a couple butterflies, and I feel some acros on a minimalistic rock. I think he might have had a center overflow and it was setup as a pedestal.

All that's why I was stoked when I rejoined the hobby and got a Reefer 170 rimless cube. Typing this up, I realize I honestly might've enjoyed the tank more during the initial cycle than I do now. That's something I'll have to think about more.

Now however, I've convinced myself a eurobraced tank also can look very good. What finally convinced me was going to Neptune and looking at their tanks again. They have out in the showroom some rimless tanks right next to some eurobraced (possibly CDA vs Reefer). I can't say why, but looking at them next to each other, I felt like the eurobraced one looked complete .

I also can buy the practical beauty of a eurobraced tank in terms of minimizing drips on the glass, and allowing potentially higher water levels (though practically I'm not sure people do that). Additionally the possibility of having large wave patterns without the risk of splashing (again not sure practically that matters).

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but just sharing a reference point as a fellow member of team glass box.

I guess I like a different aesthetic.

Rimless looks great .... except you still have these big lights above it. Plus often ugly return pipes, and usually a bathtub ring of crud.
In particular, the outside glare from the lights can be annoying.

So I am a bit old school in that I like a low profile enclosed hood.
No waterline. Nice wood to match the stand.
Not the giant monster tops that some people had with metal halide though. New LEDs make low profile easier.

You can also attach a vent to pull all that moisture out away from your living room.

c0.JPG

Back