Cali Kid Corals

Lionfish Invasion

patchin

Supporting Member
Pretty interesting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/23/science/23lionfish.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Kill%20a%20lionfish&st=cse
We do need to be careful what we do in this hobby.

We also need to be careful on what we say we did... like not saying hobbyists created this problem. They speculate the population is from tanks that got damaged in hurricanes, not released.

I realize that serious hobbyist wouldn't release anything into the wild. Pretty amazing that a minimal amount of fish escaping could multiply so quickly and jeopardize the ecosystem.

Wonder how many other invasive species got shipped (literally) around the world and dumped via ballasts. Don't know if those ecosystems were any less fragile.

Coral reefer said:
Yeah I've heard hurricane Andrew was the culprit. Also theories about them
Being transported in ballast water that ships carry with them.

I've seen the ballast water theory blown to pieces.

patchin said:
I realize that serious hobbyist wouldn't release anything into the wild. Pretty amazing that a minimal amount of fish escaping could multiply so quickly and jeopardize the ecosystem.

Don't get me wrong, hobbyists release stuff all the time. I am talking about the lionfish in the Atlantic only, and only the breeding colonies.

Lionfish have also been anecdotally reported in the atlantic from the 1800's, according to one of the articles I read. Unfortunately I can't locate it now. In any case, there are confirmed reports dating back for a significant amount of time. This is not an effort to say that they are actually a native species, however, I would be hesitant to blame ANY of the claimed sources conclusively.

There are gaping logic holes in each theory that I've seen regarding the source of these fish.

In response to the statement, "serious aquarists wouldn't release etc. " consider this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/eb/index.php

At what point would you consider someone a serious aquarist? When they start up a coral farm? When they hire people who don't know the difference between caribbean and pacific species? This venture had a chance to introduce several coral species that were non native, so it's not impossible.

However in regard to lionfish I'm still skeptical.

Regardless, we still need to be careful. Ideas like reefers were the ones to release the lionfish, or the Snorkel Bob stuff need to be taken seriously. Lets face it, there are all kinds of animals in FL that are invasive and were released by hobbyists. That is a legacy we have to deal with.

Wanted to correct myself because I found the article I mentioned earlier:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/6/aafeature/view

I'm guilty of exaggeration and passing on misinformation. That's what I get for skimming an article. Turns out the early date on Atlantic lionfish sightings was in the 1930's and a data entry error, so not true at all.

Hey look over there! It's a Florida anaconda!!!

See? Now you forgot all about my screwup.

Back