Jestersix

Looking for an Acrylic tank

Hi All,

I’m on old member who left the hobby back in 2015. Trying to slowly climb back into the hobby again.

I’m looking for an acrylic tank (less than 100 gallon). Want to check if you guys have any that you plan to get rid. I didn’t see the message about All About Fish store closing, so I missed it.

Another option is to order one (preferably from a local tank maker in Bay Area).
I recalled reading about Gen @ Kritter Tanks from this group. Want to check if you guys have any experience from him (if he’s still making tanks) or if you have any other recommendations.

Thank you
Rudy

Happy New Year.
Still looking for a tank, or ordering one.
Can anyone share some recommendation of local tank maker. Does anyone have experience ordering from Gen @ Kritter Tanks?

Thank you

Happy New Year.
Still looking for a tank, or ordering one.
Can anyone share some recommendation of local tank maker. Does anyone have experience ordering from Gen @ Kritter Tanks?

Thank you
Acrylonics in San Jose can make custom tanks. Not sure if they still do as their focus is signage, trade shows, etc now..Made one for me 20 yrs ago that is still in someones home today.

I had Gen build my approx.120G tank maybe 10 years ago. No issues; tank has held up well. He is quite the craftsman - I recall him insisting he flame finish the edges of the top hatches in my front yard, even though I told him they would never be used under my MH lights. I kept those hatches because they were multi-layered works of art and I intended to make wall hangings out of them. Price at the time was roughly the same as the off-the-shelf (at the time) TruVue and similar. Tank was delivered exactly as ordered. I remember it took a while - small shop and very busy with commercial orders. I also have one of his sumps I bought used, also well- made and no problems (except sumps are never big enough)

I recommend him, and just hope he is still building one-offs for the hobbyist.

Thank you for all your responses. I've sent Gen an e-mail, so fingers crossed.

Sorry, I should have provided more of the specs for the tank.
- Goal is to create a freshwater plants tank (taking some inspirations from ADA tanks)
- volume: 80 gallons
- dimensions: 48 inches x 20 x20
- built filtration in the back of the tank: I've seen some tanks that Gen built in the past that have a built in filtration (has some bioballs, chambers to put filter foams, carbon biomedias, small pump to push water back into the main tank. I think this will work better in long run as it's easier to manage than having a sump. I saw a posting in Craigslist last month for a used Kritter tank with built in filtration, but couldn't snatch it in time.
- stand: metal stand

I use 80 gallons as a starting point. Depending on the size of built in filtration, the main display will probably be less than 65 gallons.
I'm open to advices and suggestions as how you have used a tank with a built in filtration systems.

Thank you

I have an old school TruVu Acrylic tank 48x20x20 that's just sitting in my garage, It's yours for free if you want it. It still holds water but you might want to buff it out. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I had Gen build my approx.120G tank maybe 10 years ago. No issues; tank has held up well. He is quite the craftsman - I recall him insisting he flame finish the edges of the top hatches in my front yard, even though I told him they would never be used under my MH lights. I kept those hatches because they were multi-layered works of art and I intended to make wall hangings out of them. Price at the time was roughly the same as the off-the-shelf (at the time) TruVue and similar. Tank was delivered exactly as ordered. I remember it took a while - small shop and very busy with commercial orders. I also have one of his sumps I bought used, also well- made and no problems (except sumps are never big enough)

I recommend him, and just hope he is still building one-offs for the hobbyist.
Gen is great for custom ACRYLIC tanks. He did my DT and Fuge. But last time for the Fuge he said he only did it because he knew me.
Very busy with commercial, and so many hassles doing tanks for hobbyists that don't really know what they want.
But times change.
http://krittertanks.com

Thanks for all your responses.

Gen responded to my email and wanted me to pass along his message to fellow members:

He has closed his acrylic shop in November (due to cost inflation and low amount of business). He has a decided to re-locate to So-Cal in the near future and do other things from a garage based business.

Back