Cali Kid Corals

Losing my clam - I hate pyramid snail

Dr Ron always said that the pyramids eat what they rest on. He said that the ones that eat snails don't eat clams and visa versa.

In one of my tanks, I have the snail eating ones. They came from a cup of sand from another reefer. In that tank I also have a 6" plus maxima clam and they have never bothered it.

For the snail ones, they like my Trochus the best. I used to regularly pull the Trochus out and carefully wipe off the pyramid snails off with my finger or a toothpick. Then, I would put the Trochus back. Now, I hardly ever see the pyramid snails.

Now that you know where the pyramids like to hang out on your clam, I would pull the clam out every 2 to 3 days and check it for the pyramids. Before long, the population of them should drop and hopefully your clam will regain enough strength to make a full recovery.

If your clam eventually dies (and assuming your pyramids don't eat snails), you should be able to get rid of the pyramids by leaving clams out of your tank for a few months. Per Dr Ron, since they won't have a host to feed on, they will die.

Best of luck,

Roy

Yup.. Thanks Roy and everyone. I will let you know if the clam is going to make it or not. It's still not open up like it's used to :( ..

[quote author=racrumrine link=topic=1796.msg17139#msg17139 date=1173324295]
Dr Ron always said that the pyramids eat what they rest on. He said that the ones that eat snails don't eat clams and visa versa.

In one of my tanks, I have the snail eating ones. They came from a cup of sand from another reefer. In that tank I also have a 6" plus maxima clam and they have never bothered it.

For the snail ones, they like my Trochus the best. I used to regularly pull the Trochus out and carefully wipe off the pyramid snails off with my finger or a toothpick. Then, I would put the Trochus back. Now, I hardly ever see the pyramid snails.

Now that you know where the pyramids like to hang out on your clam, I would pull the clam out every 2 to 3 days and check it for the pyramids. Before long, the population of them should drop and hopefully your clam will regain enough strength to make a full recovery.

If your clam eventually dies (and assuming your pyramids don't eat snails), you should be able to get rid of the pyramids by leaving clams out of your tank for a few months. Per Dr Ron, since they won't have a host to feed on, they will die.

Best of luck,

Roy
[/quote]
Hmm... Maybe I put that to the test.I havn't had a clam for years but I see the paramids snails on my turbos. I'll pickup a clam and see if it will get the pyramids.

i have wanted a clam for ages but i have had pyramids for a long time (don't worry i check everything before i give it away). i wish there was some clear cookie cutter answer to get rid of them. oh well maybe when i upgrade.

If you let your tank go fallow (no snails, no clams), you should be pyramid free after awhile. Since they are parasites, they need a host to survive.

That said, during the fallow period, you may be fighting a major algae problem.

If you want to get your tank fallow over time (to minimize an algae bloom), you could add a bunch of Asterina starfish. Personally, I think they are good little algae eaters. The pyramids won't eat them.

Best of luck,

Roy

Back