Reef nutrition

Machine shop

Hi,

Does anyone work at a machine shop or has access to a lathe.
I need to have a metal cylinder cut with a very smooth ends and think the best way would be a lathe machine, right?

Thanks

Yup a manual lathe can do that. Size needed? I may be able to assist you.

edit: I do not own a metal shop but I know some one at one

So just a cylinder? How long, what materiel? What tolerance do you need the 3/4" diameter? How smooth? Polished?

The can be achieved even with a good chop saw. Now your talking closer to what I actually have access to.

Actually, coming to think about it, I think rough ends is better.. lol.
Let me explain what I'm messing with.
I wanted to use the cylinders to attach to a heat pump and see what I could get out of it.
I only have a cube, so it doesn't take much to cool that small volume of water.
It's made of stainless steel 316L.
I need to epoxy them to the heat pump and I think the rough ends shoud give me better adhesion than smooth end, right?
Just an idea that I wanted to try out.

Well in that case I can have it cut for you with no problem at all. My buddy has a small proto-typing shop (molds) so I can ask him to cut it. Do you have the 316L or do you need to still buy it? I could probably have him pick it up a near correct length and cut it to the specs you need.

well, best thermal transfer is if you have no roughness at all. If you have two very flat surfaces and a very thinly pressed, but strong adhesive, it would hold well. What adhesive are you using?

if heat is being transfered from one object to this rod, then yes. I would either polish it, or use a good carbide bit and use the gear drive to face the rod slowly taking off only maybe 0.005 on the final pass. The thermal conductivity of even the best thermal adhesive is poor compared to the metal (even a poor thermal conductor like SS)...afaik on the available adhesives. So, using the adhesive as just an adhesive improves thermal transfer. This is analogous to heatsinks and CPUs. Use a thin layer :)

If Gresham's contact cant help you, I might be able to.

He may very well be in China Tony so if you can help, please do :)

He runs back and forth routinely checking on the molds over in China and coming home to make more.

Back