got ethical husbandry?

Mangrove Care!

Does anyone have any experience keeping Mangroves?

I plan add 3 into my IM 14g however I'm reading there is a specific process in acclimation! In addition, they tend to take up a lot of nutrients specifically mag so just wanted to see if what I read online is accurate.

When placing into tank, can they float near a rock and have a piece of it outside of water or does it need to be fully submerged into sand?

Does anyone have any experience keeping Mangroves?

I plan add 3 into my IM 14g however I'm reading there is a specific process in acclimation! In addition, they tend to take up a lot of nutrients specifically mag so just wanted to see if what I read online is accurate.

When placing into tank, can they float near a rock and have a piece of it outside of water or does it need to be fully submerged into sand?
I believe you want the roots placed fully in sand but I have no personal experience. Does any place local sell them? I'd be interested in giving it a try.

I believe you want the roots placed fully in sand but I have no personal experience. Does any place local sell them? I'd be interested in giving it a try.
Not that I know of, was thinking about putting in an order online once I get more insight on care and stuff here!

Julian Sprung is the mangrove master. Google him, read this https://www.twolittlefishies.com/images/mangrove_manual.pdf
Great find! Thank you, can't wait to check this out!

Has anyone tried this method?

Found someone local in Sacramento and in Napa was thinking about trying out!
The eBay ones are probably collected on the beach in Florida. I saw them everywhere on Marco Island this past summer. You will want to keep it in fresh water for a few days to kill off any marine pests. Julian mentions how strong light is what powers their osmotic pumps that allow them to live in salty water. If you don't have enough light, they will die as @phc567 mentioned. Misting the leaves doesn't do anything other than clean off dust and is a longtime reef myth. Jake Adams had an amazing mangrove tank too:

Is it just for fun or serve a purpose?
I don’t think they will use enough nutrients to be worth the electricity they take.
I’ve heard they like/need their roots flushed with fresh water, but have no experience

Is it just for fun or serve a purpose?
I don’t think they will use enough nutrients to be worth the electricity they take.
I’ve heard they like/need their roots flushed with fresh water, but have no experience
As they grow, they supposedly help filter out nitrates and phosphates! Not enough to rely on it as a primary source of removal but a bonus! Primarily just for appearance.. very unique in terms of set up that stands out for sure!

You don’t need sand, I place mine inside Red Sea 170 overflow.
Got it from eBay, just took mine down a few week ago to install new lid

Attachments

• 3CF275AD-6BB7-4DEB-997F-C6A9C00FD2AB.png
    3CF275AD-6BB7-4DEB-997F-C6A9C00FD2AB.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 86591CAB-B95D-49CA-9037-98A5E500C082.jpeg
    86591CAB-B95D-49CA-9037-98A5E500C082.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 95
  • C86EBB50-14B9-44CC-A686-3CF66472C67A.jpeg
    C86EBB50-14B9-44CC-A686-3CF66472C67A.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 97
As they grow, they supposedly help filter out nitrates and phosphates! Not enough to rely on it as a primary source of removal but a bonus! Primarily just for appearance.. very unique in terms of set up that stands out for sure!
You need a lot of light for them to do much. They work for Julian as he hosts them outside in Florida.

Back