Our mission

Marine Depot's Forum

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4162.msg49915#msg49915 date=1216952750]
Don't worry Josh, if memory serves me (which it very easily might not), that was the same place where Borneman had his big thread about his tank melt down, he went so far as to say someone must have purposefully sabotaged his system. I believe he closed the thread shortly there after when some other rumors started poking up involving corals he should not have had in his tank (however that one I don't know the validity to)

[/quote]

I found the thread, some of the pages are indeed "locked".
anyone know the story behind him "leaving" RC for MD? Sounds like there was some type of blow up or something...

Jake as in Jake Adams.

Let's please not get into rehashing past train wrecks on other websites. It serves no good purpose here on our forum. Grab some one at the swap, I'm sure they'll tell you in person why AC, EV and RS all left RC at the same time and went to a website that pays them to post ;)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4162.msg50000#msg50000 date=1217018936]
Jake as in Jake Adams.

Let's please not get into rehashing past train wrecks on other websites. It serves no good purpose here on our forum. Grab some one at the swap, I'm sure they'll tell you in person why AC, EV and RS all left RC at the same time and went to a website that pays them to post ;)
[/quote]

hahah, fair enough

thanks for the info

pay attention to how I ended it ;) That should explain about half of it. If I'm at the swap, find me and I'll tell you. I watched it all go down live prior to it getting deleted :D

this guys is so afraid of to explore the "possible" science and hung up on being the "skeptical reefer", he made this comment.

right from Eric "I would suggest the Internet rumor mill on Vitamin C began with a teenage reefkeeper who won a Colorado Springs science fair project. In the interest of protecting his name, I will not post a link. I think this sufficiently rests my case."

I guess since a kid ran an experiment related to ascorbic acid dosing it couldn't possibly be true.

I think that thread is a lost cause. Too bad, was really hoping Eric would do a better job explaining the possibility of the science rather than just repeating "that experiment was in vitro, couldn't possibly explain anything", "that experiment was only showed results for one coral, explains nothing", "just because people had success after dosing doesn't mean that's the reason"...which is unfortunate because it doesn't contribute anything to the debate for either side.

ascorbic acid in the form of 99% pure sodium ascorbate (no sugars, starch, etc).

I bleached my corals in ill timed lighting upgrade. All my zoa's lost their color, then they closed up for months. I tried everything to get them to recover, but they were slowly melting away. I think the "melt" in my case was starvation, when corals lose their zoox they will digest their own tissue as energy reserves, so I think this, in my case was what I saw as "melting". After a few months in fear of losing all my zoanthids I found a thread on RC about dosing VC to save "melting" zoas.

Four days after dosing my zoas opened up and I watched a large sponge that also remained bleached go from white to brown. After a couple weeks every single zoa in my tank, along with my chalice had regained their color, extension, and were back on track in growth.

I realize this is just one observation and any number of things could have caused it, but it was so dramatic, I wanted to follow up on what *might* be going on when dosing ascorbate.

Cheers,

Josh

so I posted the link to Caleb's final report on his ascorbic acid project, Eric as the "moderator" deleted the link from my text, even though Caleb posted it on his website and made it available publicly.

here is what I wrote:

another reefer found the link to his poster last week, well after we started debating this. Looks like a great research project, regardless of his age. But this did not start the rumors, because their are no "rumors" in this debate people are discussing the possibilities of ascorbic acid dosing. Also, I just found this students final paper. Here is the link (deleted, eric borneman). The literature review is pretty much identical to the papers we discussed and he runs experiments looking at VC for collagen production and as a protective antioxidant. Even though he's not part of the "academy" it looks like he had some help with this project, I'm curious if he had a marine biologist at the university helping him.

either way, I'm not sure why you take such issue with this information? It just makes me more interested in exploring it more.

Cheers,

Josh

He than replied with, because the author of this article is a minor, it was unsafe to post it....I can see situations when one might be careful about this, but is this really one of those times? Its a final report to a science fair....posted on his science fair website...

can you say censorship?!?!?

He keeps proving himself a tool. Ask him about red and green dots in elegance coral tissues and watch his head pop.
It makes absolutely no difference that the author is a minor...ask Eric how old he was when he wanted people to take him seriously.
Its really a shame because I think Eric has some good stuff in there, he is just so caught up with something (ego?) that gets in his way.

EB
I would suggest the Internet rumor mill on Vitamin C began with a teenage reefkeeper who won a Colorado Springs science fair project. In the interest of protecting his name, I will not post a link. I think this sufficiently rests my case.

Eric posted this reference to Caleb's article, which I followed up with the link to science fair website, I pointed out that with the information he provide one can do a simple Google search and find the same information, so he really wanted to protect this "minor" author he should edit his own post.

Eric responded by deleting my comment about finding it with Google and closed the post because of my attempts to circumvent the protection measures of the young author....at least that waste of time is over!

To which email address? IF it has anything to do with the forum (email account) the proper people will not see it. Look up Ben or Ken and email them. I think Ben goes by Lakersfan. He's in management. Ken (not Wong) is the Gm of MD, he would be your best bet for action. Do not email Ken W. though.

Back