High Tide Aquatics

MD’s 50 Gallon Low Boy

MarcosDelgado0

Supporting Member
Hey Guys!

This will be my first Tank Journal as this will be the first setup I start from the beginning since joining the club. My other display tank has a long history and never got around the keeping track but I will do my best to keep track of this one and update regularly.

I wanted to set this up because my other tank (Red Sea Max E-170) is on the smaller size and can’t really hold a lot of frags. Currently I have two magnetic frag racks in there taking up the left and right panel and a few frags on the sand bed and I don’t really like the look of the racks in a display tank. Nothing is really glued down in there currently so the plan is to glue what I want to keep in there and move the rest over to this frag tank. The RS Max E-170 is kind of a unique AIO because it comes drilled underneath should you want to upgrade to a sump. I almost thought about taking advantage of that and linking both tanks with one sump but I figured I’d rather keep them separate in case for whatever reason on tank crashes, I’ll still have frags in one tank.

The plan for this is to be more of a budget setup, although in this hobby, “budget” doesn’t really mean anything as everything’s expensive anyways lol. As you can see from below, I am still in the planning phase on which equipment to get or if I should even run that piece of equipment. Whatever I have listed, I already have.

The tank is in the spot it’s going to be but on a moving dolly because I will have to push it out to do the external plumbing after I drill the tank. I’m going to use 1” blue PVC for the drains, 3/4” blue for the dual returns. I’m planning to do a manifold to future proof so I have to find some 1/2” blue pvc. Going to hit Neptune tomorrow and see if they carry that size, if not I’ll have to order it online which will delay the plumbing a bit.

If anyone has any advice or input, please feel free to add :)

Aquarium: 50 Gallon Frag Low Boy
Stand: I decided to build myself ( https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/diy-wood-stand-or-aluminum-stand.35919/page-3#post-511155 ) It honestly was a very rewarding experience and introduced me to something I’ve come to enjoy.
Sump: Trigger Systems Platinum 34
Lighting: Two Nicrew HyperReef LED 150W
Return Pump: Jebao DCP-6500
Protein Skimmer: AquaMaxx FC-120
Heaters: Two Eheim Jager 100W on Inkbird ITC-306a
Powerheads: MP40 and/or MP10?
External Overflow Box: Modular Marine 1600 PLUS
ATO: TBD
Doser: TBD?
Controller: TBD?
Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Attachments

• IMG_8597.png
    IMG_8597.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Drilling return or going over the back? I would go over the back. Less holes to make and easier to change later

Drill baby, drill! I prefer a cleaner look without wires and plumbing where possible. Besides, you can always buy another second tank if you want to make changes. Who wouldn’t want another tank running? :p

Drill baby, drill! I prefer a cleaner look without wires and plumbing where possible. Besides, you can always buy another second tank if you want to make changes. Who wouldn’t want another tank running? :p
I recall hearing from Salem and others that many of these frag tanks are actually based off reptile terrariums and the seals can be suspect (lots of leaks). Any experience with others here drilling this style?

I recall hearing from Salem and others that many of these frag tanks are actually based off reptile terrariums and the seals can be suspect (lots of leaks). Any experience with others here drilling this style?
I’ve had hands on experience with maybe half a dozen, no problems. Being 10” probably makes the force not so bad even tho they are thin

I know Zoo Med carried a Terrarium version as well as the Frag version which is the one I have. I wonder if they had issues with the Terrarium version?

Following along. Stand looks fantastic btw! Good job.

Where did you end up ordering this tank?
Thank you! Definitely learned some things along the way, my next stand will be better.

I ended up picking up the tank locally at AquaLab Aquaria thanks to a lead from Eric. It came out to almost $100 more expensive than Aquarium Depot near Sacramento but I don’t see myself going that way soon and I was ok with paying the difference for the convenience of picking it up 15min away

Drilled two 1.5” holes for Modular Marine overflow and two 3/4” returns. I practiced making a few holes in a cracked 20 gallon tank I had laying around until I felt comfortable enough to drill the low boy. Honestly pretty easy but it takes a lot of patience and your hand gets tired from holding the drill so long lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8661.jpeg
    IMG_8661.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8663.png
    IMG_8663.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8664.png
    IMG_8664.png
    211 KB · Views: 54
Drilled two 1.5” holes for Modular Marine overflow and two 3/4” returns. I practiced making a few holes in a cracked 20 gallon tank I had laying around until I felt comfortable enough to drill the low boy. Honestly pretty easy but it takes a lot of patience and your hand gets tired from holding the drill so long lol.
Well done!

Anyone know of a local place that sells clear primer or one step pvc cement? I went to a couple Home Depot’s but couldn’t find any. Someone told me they don’t really carry them in stores because they’re not CA code compliant? Maybe @Srt4eric knows?

Back