Neptune Aquatics

Medical Coral?

I might be mistaken, but I could have sworn I saw the technology of using coral as a structure for bone to grown through/around 20 or so years ago.

WOW... i want to know what he has learned though... to make it grow 10x the natural rate. as home aquarists, we struggle to even meet the natural rates!

If I had to guess, the 10x times the natural rate is due to him fragmenting the corals and growing out. It's all about useable surface area. If a coral can grow 1" a year, then 10 corals will grow 10" a year in total. Remember corals are not a single organism they're comprised of many, and those "near the edge" and aren't "boxed in" will grow quite a bit more.

Perhaps 20 years ago it was economically unfeasible to grow corals for this purpose? Very cool! I'm glad someone has figured out how to monetize coral growth outside this hobby.

someone feel free to drop some knowledge here because I don't know at what rate corals grow in the ocean in contrast to our controlled environment reef tanks.

Aren't we growing corals faster than they do in nature? we blast them with specific wavelengths of light and with a lot of intensity, we dose & increase elements that promote growth, we target feed, etc. etc. or am I totally off? haha

Back