Neptune Aquatics

MH / LED usage in 2016

What is the PRIMARY source of light for your tank. So ignore secondary enhancements.

• Metal Halide

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • LED

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • T5

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's what I figured. Did a quick google search and found this article about UV and leds: https://orphek.com/is-uv-light-a-gimmick-in-led-fixtures-or-do-corals-benefit-by-it/

So now I'm wondering if MH is at a disadvantage because of more UV, and if that is affecting my sps coloration more so than Alk change. Now I'm wondering if I should have a UV filter cover... but found this answer for my Radiums: Do I need a cover shield between the lamp and the aquarium? Metal halide lamps produce a large amount of UV and also have a potential of exploding. The single ended metal halide lamps have an outer jacket which eliminates most of the UV. However, they have an inherent risk of exploding and UL requires metal halide lamps to be enclosed. On double ended lamps there is no UV shield. Double ended lamps must have a glass shield or major eye injuries including blindness may occur.

Do corals need any UV at all? I already know there is a lot of proof already for LED success, just haven't decided to make the purchase yet as I have several new Radium bulbs that I stocked up on.

Do corals need UV to to survive? : No. Plenty of tanks with coral and no UV.

Is it a gimmick, or does it help? : Not sure.
Based on absorption spectra, it does appear corals can utilize the UV end of the spectra.

My opinion:
It adds to PAR, much like adding more royal-blue would.
But it is less visible, so you can increase PAR without making your tank so blue. A bonus.
Also, the wider and more varied the spectrum, it seems the better corals can adapt to light levels. (Maybe)
So overall, probably a good thing.
But worth spending a ton of money, probably not.

Back