got ethical husbandry?

Michael's 168 build

Mantra:
No single food has all dietary requirements, or smells and tastes good to all fish, all the time.
But if you use as wide a variety as possible, you can meet their needs and likes.

Fish spend huge amounts of energy swimming

Some of my latest full tank shots from my last visit to the bay

IMG_20230224_142051.jpg

IMG_20230224_142024.jpg

IMG_20230224_142035.jpg

IMG_20230224_142038.jpg

IMG_20230224_142101.jpg

IMG_20230224_142108.jpg

@H2OPlayar
Hey Michael
Did you put down a layer of sand before the bones
Or is that degradation of the bones and sediment?
I put 2-3 bags of sand in at the beginning in order to give smaller critters a place to hide and breed, but there is a lot of detritus buildup as well. In retrospect, I would not have put any sand in and likely won't in my next big system.

Last edited:
I put 2-3 bags of sand in at the beginning in order to give smaller critters a place to hide and breed, but there is a lot of detritus buildup as well. In retrospect, I would not have put any sand in and likely won't in my next big system.
Thanks for the info
I am bare bottom with rock and will fill in with a “bones” (#10) and rubble mix

My Inkbird started acting up after 4 years of service. I was getting temperature alarms from my apex that the tank was below 75 deg F. We verified that the Apex was accurate with a couple manual thermometers we had from other tanks. The Inkbird was reading high and not turning on the heater. With all the cold weather in the bay, the heater finally needs to be on! Once I saw the tank temp hit 72.9 and I knew it was time to take the inkbird offline. My friend tried to clean the inkbird probel, but it didn't change the reading, so he took a heater and plugged it into the outlet on the apex power supply programed to "heater" and the tank temp came back to 77-78 and is holding steady. There were no reported effects to the tank life. Good friend, and good to have backups in the house.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Also, the last two times I have gone to look at the tank, the red planaria and red bugs appear to be gone. I know they are still somewhere but ignoring them seems to have made them go away. Maybe they are getting fed less and are getting picked at by the filefish or wrasses. Either way, the pest load appears to have gone down significantly by waiting.

Happy times, but the end of an era. Erica and I got married, and we closed on a house in Las Vegas. Good news is there is space for a much bigger tank in the new office, with a viewing space on the other side of a wall. So I will look at what makes sense there. Either 6 or 7 feet long, and 24" or 30" wide is what I think I have space for, then maybe 30" deep, but 24" deep that I have now isn't trivial to get to all corners with it against the wall.

This means it is time to start giving away frags and selling off coral, then the fish. I will likely keep the rock and crushed coral for the next tank, and maybe try to bring some live rock/crushed coral to Vegas if I make the drive to get the freshwater tank out or something. Definitely time to get a few more DBTC frags out to the club. Thanks for the help along the way with this tank BAR. It will help immensely for the design of the next one.

Happy times, but the end of an era. Erica and I got married, and we closed on a house in Las Vegas. Good news is there is space for a much bigger tank in the new office, with a viewing space on the other side of a wall. So I will look at what makes sense there. Either 6 or 7 feet long, and 24" or 30" wide is what I think I have space for, then maybe 30" deep, but 24" deep that I have now isn't trivial to get to all corners with it against the wall.

This means it is time to start giving away frags and selling off coral, then the fish. I will likely keep the rock and crushed coral for the next tank, and maybe try to bring some live rock/crushed coral to Vegas if I make the drive to get the freshwater tank out or something. Definitely time to get a few more DBTC frags out to the club. Thanks for the help along the way with this tank BAR. It will help immensely for the design of the next one.
You got wed, you got a house and you’re getting a bigger tank?! Nice!
Congratulations bro!
Hope all goes well with tank and moved.

Back