Kessil

Microbacter Clean (AMZN PRICE ERROR?)

Can you explain? A few of us bought
May be specific to my tanks but when I added Dr. Tim's Eco balance which is similar, i wound up with brown slime (ciliates) covering a lot of my corals and experienced huge die-offs. Happened in at least 2 tanks. Sometime later on, I gave it another shot, and same thing... so for me, at least for my tanks, I've sworn of bottled bacteria outside of starters for new tanks.

Don't have concrete reasons to explain why it happened but i believe that the additive actually caused an imbalance and allow for the bacteria to go nuts.

As I understand it, ciliates may be a secondary mechanism in response to bacterial blooms.

I have used Microbacter7 and Dr. Tims Eco Balance with success. I think slimes and blooms happen when one bacteria wins the competition for space. I would hope a product like this would help increase the biodiversity. The way to go would probably just dose a very small amount.

I liken this theory to Gastrointestinal Health.

Last edited:
I have used Microbacter7 and Dr. Tims with success. I think slimes and blooms happen when one bacteria wins the competition for space. I would hope a product like this would help increase the biodiversity. The way to go would probably just dose a very small amount.

He was talking about Dr Tim’s Eco Balance, not Dr Tim’ One and Only. Big difference. One and Only has been proven helpful on innumerable tanks on startup. The other stuff is supposed to be added to established tanks with questionable claims and with lots of mixed reports including livestock loss. Calling them both Dr. Tim’s can give people the wrong impression.

He was talking about Dr Tim’s Eco Balance, not Dr Tim’ One and Only. Big difference. One and Only has been proven helpful on innumerable tanks on startup. The other stuff is supposed to be added to established tanks with questionable claims and with lots of mixed reports including livestock loss. Calling them both Dr. Tim’s can give people the wrong impression.
Fixed

I got one too, but have yet to use it. I'm concerned about reports like the one from @NanoCrazed. Did any of you use the Microbacter Clean yet, and dose the recommended amount? What were the results?

I have used Microbacter7 and Dr. Tims Eco Balance with success. I think slimes and blooms happen when one bacteria wins the competition for space. I would hope a product like this would help increase the biodiversity. The way to go would probably just dose a very small amount.

What are you considering to be success with MB7? I also love the idea of biodiversity but I’m curious what results people see ( or hope to see) with dosing something like MB7.

What are you considering to be success with MB7? I also love the idea of biodiversity but I’m curious what results people see ( or hope to see) with dosing something like MB7.
I think with a more diverse population of bacteria in the tank there will be greater competition for nutrients and one bacteria wont take over (like algae or slime). I would say success would be a reduction in algae, but I don't think we can measure success with MB7. Just a theory.

I think with a more diverse population of bacteria in the tank there will be greater competition for nutrients and one bacteria wont take over (like algae or slime). I would say success would be a reduction in algae, but I don't think we can measure success with MB7. Just a theory.
Since it's my new soap box trigger, competing for nutrients is a hard thing to really contemplate. Unless that nutrient is dropping to 0, there's always some around for algae/slime/... to eat.

What actually causes those things to dissipate I feel is very unclear, but all the nutrients we measure are never 0, so it seems like it has to be something besides that.

Predation is my personal unproven guess, though the BRS tank test videos I believe show pods have a high correlation to some of those getting reduced (pods eat some of this stuff). I also could swear I saw a microscope video of diatoms fighting dinos once, but I'm probably full of sh*t on that.

So might just be essential oils / probiotics / snake oils of reefing, might be competing for some thing we don't actually measure, might be introducing predators.

Fwiw the thing that fought back a bunch of dino issues in my tanks was a cup of sand from @under_water_ninja 's tank. It might've been coincidental, but I dumped it in two tanks and both got better right after. Whether it was pods or bacteria it just coincidental I have no idea, though I did see a lot more pods in my little tank after. More than I noticed from my bottled pods

Since it's my new soap box trigger, competing for nutrients is a hard thing to really contemplate. Unless that nutrient is dropping to 0, there's always some around for algae/slime/... to eat.

What actually causes those things to dissipate I feel is very unclear, but all the nutrients we measure are never 0, so it seems like it has to be something besides that.

Predation is my personal unproven guess, though the BRS tank test videos I believe show pods have a high correlation to some of those getting reduced (pods eat some of this stuff). I also could swear I saw a microscope video of diatoms fighting dinos once, but I'm probably full of sh*t on that.

So might just be essential oils / probiotics / snake oils of reefing, might be competing for some thing we don't actually measure, might be introducing predators.

Fwiw the thing that fought back a bunch of dino issues in my tanks was a cup of sand from @under_water_ninja 's tank. It might've been coincidental, but I dumped it in two tanks and both got better right after. Whether it was pods or bacteria it just coincidental I have no idea, though I did see a lot more pods in my little tank after. More than I noticed from my bottled pods
You basically did a fecal transplant. I swear, this thread is basically a gut health case study. Do we have any other healthcare people on BAR?

Back