Kessil

Molly fish - to Saltwater

Alexx

Supporting Member
I have some quick question,
I've seen some Molley on @Hamada tank and I was thinking to get some to because they will help with the algae control.
My question is, can I get freshwater Molly from 6'th Avenu for example and drip acclimate it to salt water and then have it in my main display tank?
Do I still have to quarantine this fish for ich and internal parasites since it will come from freshwater?
Do the freshwater parasites and fish diseses move to salt water?

Alsp I currently have some 2 chromis, 2 clown fish, 1 six line wrass, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue/yellow damsel, 1 coral beuty, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 bengalli cardinal, 1 blue spot gobby, 1 redhawk flamefish; do you think I will have issues with fish fights?

Currently everyone is peacefully.

If it comes from 6th Ave, I'm sure it'll find a way to bring diseases to your tank.

That said, that is a good amount of fish already for a tank that's 75 gallon, I wouldn't risk any more fish in there, already I see 2 aggressive fish even if you say everything is peaceful.

So does anyone know for sure whether saltwater fish are safe from freshwater diseases? That is, we’re using Mollys to absorb and detect saltwater disease, can’t it work the other way?

realize lots of people are doing it, but seems confusing disease will go one way and not the other.

So freshwater Ich is not the same thing as Marine Ich. Same should be true of most freshwater diseases I believe. You won't have to QT your freshwater molly's. I have used them in frag tanks, and in my main tank for algae control. They are tireless eaters, but keep in mind they can only do so much. You can drip acclimate them for saltwater fairly easy in just a few hours, but to be fair to them I've either purchased ones bred in saltwater, or one time, acclimated them over a couple of days.

You can definitely acclimate them.

I needed a couple for my first QT to detect disease. I was just going to buy some at Bay Bridge b/c they had some. They asked me what I needed it for. I told them for saltwater QT. They told me they had a batch already acclimated to saltwater, so I just bought a couple from them for $10 each.

You can definitely acclimate them.

I needed a couple for my first QT to detect disease. I was just going to buy some at Bay Bridge b/c they had some. They asked me what I needed it for. I told them for saltwater QT. They told me they had a batch already acclimated to saltwater, so I just bought a couple from them for $10 each.

There ya go. Call Mike and support our sponsors.

ok I just got some as well got 2 silver and 2 black. I am aclimating them now. Wanna see if they will clean my QT tank then I will add 2 the main display

OK I got an update for the Molly fish that I got. The 2 black Molly passed away (they ware not moving that much so I think they ware not doing good since I bought them) and the female silver Molly had babies in my frag tank. From I think 8 babies I have 2 that got big and they will probably survive. I moved the male in the main display after I saw the babies. Now only 1 silver famale Molly and 2 babies are in the frag tank. I will probably get 2 more females molly for the frag tank in a few weeks.

Technically they were my first saltwater fish many years ago. I wanted something cheap to have movement in my then young biocube and already had some in a freshwater tank, so I acclimated them across. The one problem I had is that mollies pick at *everything*, at least to sample it. Unfortunately down the road I discovered that this particular everything happened to include my RBTA's tentacles. The first time they would typically get away, but swim a bit funny for a while. The problem with this is that at some point (generally the second or third observed attempt) the nem would win, and after not all that long I no longer had mollies in my tank.

May have just been my particular batch, but it's something to watch out for.

Back