got ethical husbandry?

Morgan's Fiji Cube 57 Mixed Reef

Some Rando

Supporting Member
Hello everyone! Here's my Fiji Cube 57 Shallow tank. This is my first attempt at a mixed reef tank and keeping corals, besides super beginner corals. This tank has been up for almost 1.5 years. During that time I've had many ups and downs and trials and tribulations. I still have lots to learn, but overall things have been going the best they ever have lately. I'm putting this post up to show everyone what I have, and also as a reference because I want to start asking more questions here to help my tank flourish. I don't really plan on adding anything else for awhile because I have lots of stuff in the tank. In hindsight my aquascape probably isn't the best either and I will probably need to redo it as well move the tank to a different spot in my living room. I'm not really looking forward to that, but it is what it is.

As far as the gear goes, I already said what the tank is. I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, Reef Breeders Photon 24 Pro, Reef Breeders power head, Hygger return pump, 2 Cobalt heaters and a Jebao Doser handling 2 part. I bought all of this stuff during Black Friday sales in 2020. I tried to make this a value oriented build and get decent stuff at the best price possible. I don't have any kind of controller on the tank. Instead I have everything hooked up to a smart power strip that I can control through Google Home.

Here's some pics and thanks for looking!

IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1615.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1608.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 5

Qwiv

Supporting Member
Nice tank. Are those acros are going to grow out of your tanks up so high. Looks like the frags are almost there, unless it is a weird camera angle. Let's see under the hood.

Some Rando

Supporting Member
Nice tank. Are those acros are going to grow out of your tanks up so high. Looks like the frags are almost there, unless it is a weird camera angle. Let's see under the hood.
You are right, they are way too high. This is why I need to do redo my scape. A couple of the frags are barely below the water. I need to figure out a plan of action because some of the frags have encrusted the rock and are starting to finally grow and I don’t want to lose out on the progress.

Qwiv

Supporting Member
All good, I think everyone does that with their first aqua scapes. I know I did. Looks like you stacked vs. glued your rocks, so easy enough to take care of it now or during your move. Not sure if there are any hard set rules, but I like 8" minimum for a regular acro and 12" for a Staghorn. More obviously being better, but you have a pretty shallow tank. They are also pretty close horizontally too, so maybe address that as well before everything get all encrusted.

Rest of the tank looks great and a nice budget build. Would start investing in some back-ups in case of a power failure or GFCI trip as you have some $ in the tank now. I think the best bang for the Buck would be a 12v DC power head like the Hygger Mini. Connect it to a AGM or LiPo battery instead of the 12v power wall wart it comes with and get a battery charger that can run the pump plus recharge the battery. Size battery for at least a weekend get away.

Some Rando

Supporting Member
All good, I think everyone does that with their first aqua scapes. I know I did. Looks like you stacked vs. glued your rocks, so easy enough to take care of it now or during your move. Not sure if there are any hard set rules, but I like 8" minimum for a regular acro and 12" for a Staghorn. More obviously being better, but you have a pretty shallow tank. They are also pretty close horizontally too, so maybe address that as well before everything get all encrusted.

Rest of the tank looks great and a nice budget build. Would start investing in some back-ups in case of a power failure or GFCI trip as you have some $ in the tank now. I think the best bang for the Buck would be a 12v DC power head like the Hygger Mini. Connect it to a AGM or LiPo battery instead of the 12v power wall wart it comes with and get a battery charger that can run the pump plus recharge the battery. Size battery for at least a weekend get away.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve got an Ice Cap battery backup arriving tomorrow. PG&E is doing some major work in my neighborhood so I decided I needed to be ready.

Some of my rock is stacked, and a lot of it is put together with hydraulic cement. Growth has really started to accelerate, so I need to act.

Qwiv

Supporting Member
Good problem to have.

Never looked inside the IceCap battery back-up. If you think you can open the case and show what is inside, I would be very interested.