Kessil

Mozby's Noob Nano Reef (Nuvo 20)

What are your Ca and Mg levels?

Watch out for precipitation.

Also with low nutrients and high Alk, you run the risk of burning your corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tried testing CA and the solution just won’t turn blue (has worked before). Either my test kit is faulty or my calc is way off the charts.

Had the same issue with Mg previously so I bought a salinity kit for it. Will test later.

I think I should be good against precipitation.... I let the stirred kalk settle for 2hrs before I use it in the ATO. Also 1tsp per gallon is middle of the spectrum. Anything above 2tsp per gallon will precipitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried testing CA and the solution just won’t turn blue (has worked before). Either my test kit is faulty or my calc is way off the charts.

Had the same issue with Mg previously so I bought a salinity kit for it. Will test later.

I think I should be good against precipitation.... I let the stirred kalk settle for 2hrs before I use it in the ATO. Also 1tsp per gallon is middle of the spectrum. Anything above 2tsp per gallon will precipitate.

Getting precipitation does not only happen if you dose too high a concentration but it is determined by the concentration of alk,ca and mg in the water. If you are at the threshold, even dosing 1/2 a tsp slowly will cause localized precipitation.

Getting precipitation does not only happen if you dose too high a concentration but it is determined by the concentration of alk,ca and mg in the water. If you are at the threshold, even dosing 1/2 a tsp slowly will cause localized precipitation.

Good to know.

If you want to try other test kits, I can access mine Monday. Not sure where you are located; I am in Pleasant Hill.
(Also, I apologize for the post not about your tank!)

Same here. I can text your cal and mag for you anytime this weekend or Monday if you need. I’ll be doing my Saturday testing today anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to try other test kits, I can access mine Monday. Not sure where you are located; I am in Pleasant Hill.
(Also, I apologize for the post not about your tank!)

No worries! Hope you figure out your chaeto issue as well. Appreciate the offer but you are a little far from me.

Same here. I can text your cal and mag for you anytime this weekend or Monday if you need. I’ll be doing my Saturday testing today anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I think I’ll take you up on that. What time do you plan on doing it? We can coordinate via text.

Looked this up and it seems precipitation can occur when alk is upwards of 11dkh and beyond. I’m at 9.2, so should be safe?

This is probably due for a trim....
c43ba52e25fc6d702d082b328bece9b9.jpg

Chaeto soaks up iron too. You may be difficient.
You may be right. I was reading an article by Randy Holmes Farley about this topic but it is a tad confusing. He states iron has proven itself useful in many reef tanks mainly for keeping macroalgae healthy. But then later he says it is not apparent that iron supplementation is beneficial in most reef tanks... so..... where does that leave me lol

I realized I haven’t posted an updated front tank shot in forever. And what’s more, I recently made some changes to the scape to accommodate more rock. Shout out to @Rostato and his wife for their invaluable help with the new aquascape! Here is the before and after....

ea86413019b27b530ed968ab7f4d56e3.jpg

d7aaed0f95c3848f67e21d1fc477e25d.jpg

Back