Neptune Aquatics

MP60 Bearing Replacement - Cooling Fin

Wlachnit

Past President
My MP60 was sooo loud that I couldn't take it anymore. So I replaced the bearings to the dry-side and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention because the black fin ring that is used to cool the aluminum fins started rubbing. So I removed it. Now the pump is super quiet up to about 50%. Anyway, any thoughts on whether the pump will over heat?

In the meantime, I went to replace the bearings on my MP40 and cracked the friggin magnet. The bearing on one side was inserted so close the magnet that my bearing puller was not able to get under the bearing to pull.. So, throwing that dry side into the garbage...just my luck..

I have consisted trying to do what I think you’re talking about with and mp60 as well, but didn’t get as far as opening it up. I was also concerned about over heating. I would like to use them on my tank but have replaced them with mp40s due to noise. I was wondering if a small regular clip on fan or something moving air across the dryside(s) would compensate.
I was also wondering if people would be able to 3D print some kind of silencer type of muffler thingy that could slip into the dry side to make it quieter but still allow the fan part to be in there. That seems cool but could take up extra room...

Yeah, I remember you telling me that they are inherently louder because of the cooling fins. Mine was actually easy to open up. And, the shaft has a stop so that the bearings aren't seated right up against the magnet rotor like they are on the MP40s. I have replaced MP40 bearings before and dinging up the magnet rotor seems pretty unavoidable.

A muffler thingy would be awesome.

Back