Kessil

My 1st SW tank: 4 months old...in progress.

Doesn't matter that you're a beginner, it's the attention to detail in maintenance, water parameters and aquascape that makes your tank look pro. Nice work!

Now you just need a small frag tank next to your display tank. That's my future plan to get my display looking more open and less cluttered from frags. @Enderturtle has done a nice job of connecting a small frag tank to the same sump that runs his 40 gallon display!

Doesn't matter that you're a beginner, it's the attention to detail in maintenance, water parameters and aquascape that makes your tank look pro. Nice work!

Now you just need a small frag tank next to your display tank. That's my future plan to get my display looking more open and less cluttered from frags. @Enderturtle has done a nice job of connecting a small frag tank to the same sump that runs his 40 gallon display!
Thank you.The problem is I don't have a sump. lol! Maybe after sometime I can upgrade my tank to a "real" reef tank with sump (complete setup) with better equipments..I'm really enjoying this hobby. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.The problem is I don't have a sump. lol! Maybe after sometime I can upgrade my tank to a "real" reef tank with sump (complete setup) with better equipments..I'm really enjoying this hobby. [emoji846]

Oh dear...all this time I thought I had a "real" reef tank! Is this how most reefers think that somehow tanks without sumps aren't real reefers?? - WAH!! @Coral reefer Mike, you're always honest - is my tank just pretending?! Now I'm depressed....just kidding (sorta).

Oh dear...all this time I thought I had a "real" reef tank! Is this how most reefers think that somehow tanks without sumps aren't real reefers?? - WAH!! @Coral reefer Mike, you're always honest - is my tank just pretending?! Now I'm depressed....just kidding (sorta).
Lol! Cause I'm just using an old 55gal tank w/ DIY HOB refugium and GFO reactor and internal skimmer. Looking forward to upgrade to a better tank. [emoji846]

I agree with the no sump thing. Reefers say a sump is a must and ur frowned upon if u don't have one. I aswell do not have a sump and iv been hiding that fact in fear of criticism. But every one that has seen my tank says I'm doing great and to keep up the good work. And now I'm starting to find a lot of other people like u guys that also do not run a sump and they have good successful tanks.

You can absolutely run a successful reef tank without a sump. But there are a few disadvantages compared to having a sump.

Surface skimming is a big one. Having an overflow helps ensure the oily skim that you sometimes get goes down into the sump and gets filtered out more efficiently. That skim cuts down on the amount of light getting to your corals.

Having real estate to hang all your equipment. Or having to eat up tank space to have it in tank.

More water volume to help absorb changes making them a smaller %.

Being able to employ different sorts of nitrate/phosphate export.

Aesthetics where only the tank is seen. Not a bunch of things hanging off the back and a tangle of wires.

Been reefing for a long time, never used sumps. HOB skimmers with modified surface skimmers.

Current tank has large HOB Aqua Max with modified surface skimmer.

Some macro shots...
7d0cabf6c5eb79770f334e3bb212db1d.jpg
9c8a63dd583133c5f38e2abeeaf0f1e6.jpg
780e9b235125ed10f521a91bb01fa541.jpg
aaf2880ebf63eb7b967760ec1c90ad47.jpg
d0b2e5a46e15283114b345ece8a42baa.jpg
a21aa3e29aaa47f9fba4b6c23a638be3.jpg
d4b494e26ca342485025f05637a6d3ef.jpg
cd14732637032b7a5d09ae28e477e122.jpg
60e78b2ce0b3de65435b7c4b2afb746e.jpg
ac33e04f4fb4b6e10097067142ff9536.jpg
bd08f090a34447fe9da04c8eb3710db6.jpg
c5145d769cd81a5f39685d011f178cbf.jpg
fb4461e02cda82215f99fa43c728cbd3.jpg

In ur second photo what is the name of the zoas and do u have any frags of it.

Hi Travis! It's a white velvet zoa. Unfortunately that's the only frag I have now so far. I don't know why but it takes forever to increase in number of polyps...

Nice tank! I need to learn how to take macro shots like yours - terrific! I love your yellow polyps - used to have some years ago and never see them now. I grew them on my back wall and they looked great. Keep up the good care.

Nice tank! I need to learn how to take macro shots like yours - terrific! I love your yellow polyps - used to have some years ago and never see them now. I grew them on my back wall and they looked great. Keep up the good care.
Thank you!

Yellow polyps? Palys? I'm trying to control them coz it spread very fast..

Back