got ethical husbandry?

Nano Tank in Oakland

Hello everyone, Alex here in Oakland and I'm excited to find a local group. I'm new to the hobby although I'm not entirely new to the animals. I have some background in marine invertebrates but it had never occurred to me until recently to start reef keeping as a hobby. Of course, reef keeping is a different beast all together and it's been a lot of fun learning so far.

My Indo-Pacific-themed 15g nano has been running since November and my first corals were added earlier this month and are doing well so far: a small colony of red-orange and green Zoanthus, small head of branching hammer coral (Euphyllia parancora with green tips), and an orange Fungia. I'm very excited to read that people are experimenting with Fungia propagation, which I hope to do once my plate grows much bigger.

Welcome, Alex! This is a great club. Look forward to seeing photos of your nano tank. If you decide to join BAR, you will see different areas of the website. My nano tank is also in Oakland, and I can share some frags of LPS corals with you through the DBTC program for BAR members.

Thank you. I've been reading up on DBTC and I think it's a great concept. I started my reef with the goal of being as minimally impacting to the environment as possible, so frags and captive-bred animals. DBTC sounds like a win-win for everyone who can share and the oceans.

So much pressure to join, I'll just have to. I just wasn't expecting offers of coral just by saying hi.

I live in southern Temescal, west of Piedmont.

Back