Kessil

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Well that sucks...

Was just about to take a pic if the scoly displaying super healing powers... when now it looks worse than it did this morning... a big cushion hustled into the box and grazed it again... ugh.

Are you sure the urchins are causing damage and not just cleaning up the dead and dying tissue?
Pretty sure... the scoly was wmsuper healthy before i took itnout of the box. I don't know if the urchin is eating the scoly... but it might be more of it scraping thr scoly as it moves on by

Thebtop layer of thebflesh is missing but the subdermal layers are still there

AquaJapan85 (ish)
====

Looks loke my current plan is a bust. I lost a few more pieces -- all from the frag tank, including the gusty's blue from @Coral reefer . Everything was doing well until i moved pieces over to the tank.

Current theories are:
1. Tank flow and turnover is not enough
2. Lighting is not enough or too much
3. Alk spikes and fluctuations due to being downstream of dose lines relating to volume of tje 5G frag tank
4. Temp stability. Sun will hit this tank at sunset. The return pump line is split between the DT ane the frag. The chiller sites inline on the way to the DT, so the frag tank's temp is wholly dependent on

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
AquaJapan 85
====

FML. Somehow accidentally switched DOS to "on" from "auto" -- and had just made up a fresh batch for Calc 2-part... 1 gallons worth of CaCl at 37000ppm equivalence got dumped into my tank. And I just discovered it...

Trying to decide if I should be doing water change or let it roll... since calcium in excess will just precipitate out. ugh

just watch your alk!
the excess calcium will drive down your alk. If the tank alk is still at an acceptable level, I would think you could just let it roll.

just watch your alk!
the excess calcium will drive down your alk. If the tank alk is still at an acceptable level, I would think you could just let it roll.
Yeah, tank alk is surprisingly stable. Between 9.8 - 10.2. I threw in a bit extra baking soda like i used to when i dosed by hand to add a bitnof buffering.

Some quick math and looking at my Ca via Trodent logs before the dump, i figure i am at 800-900 ppm. Right past Trident 's test range.

Might change out 25gal with rodi to get things a bit more under control

Yeah, tank alk is surprisingly stable. Between 9.8 - 10.2. I threw in a bit extra baking soda like i used to when i dosed by hand to add a bitnof buffering.

Some quick math and looking at my Ca via Trodent logs before the dump, i figure i am at 800-900 ppm. Right past Trident 's test range.

Might change out 25gal with rodi to get things a bit more under control
I would do watwr change. Ca will spike later if this much solution got dumped. Man you are on a winning strike..:(

I would do watwr change. Ca will spike later if this much solution got dumped. Man you are on a winning strike..:(
did a 20% WC... brought the Ca down to 600... now need to balance out the alk to pre WC levels. MIght just let the system ride down from here... 600 is high but manageable

figured out the issue. I had manually dosed CA to adjust via the app before bed... seems like the network hiccuped right as i sent the signal to resume normal rates. been having some NW reliability issues laately

AquaJapan85
===

One advantage of the 5G attached frag is that I can use it to slowly dose \ dilute my tank it turns out. I needed to get a lot of RODI into my system stat today but didn't want to salinity shock the system. So, opted to move all my frags out of it, drain it and the refilled it with RODI. and slowly starting the return just enough flow that the mixing trickled back into the sump.

Looks like I am not the only one who've encountered a similar situation, at least on R2R.... another reefer past had a Ca of 600ppm, recommendation from RFH supported by some articles is to manage alk and let the system adjust itself slowly. So probably will continue with this plan... hopefully nothing else falls sideways but will have to watch alk like a hawk...

AquaJapan85
===

Finally dialed my alk back to within range. It's was a bit of a swing today with trying to balance against the Ca. But figured better to fluctuated and get back to normalized baseline than to have bigger windows of variances.

So a bit of quite math for those in similar situations to approximate concentrations in your tanks and/or needed dilutions when the concentration exceeds the limits of test kits:

C1*V1 = C2*V2. C=concentration, V=volume

In my case, I had a gallon of CaCl that is estimated to contain about 37000 ppm getting dumped into 100G-ish of total fluid volume... So,

C2 = (1 G)*(37000 ppm)/(100 G) = 370ppm

Add this to the concentration level before the dump of 480 ppm. And so was batting about 850 ppm at the start of the fiasco... :(. Knowing this was useful to estimate how much water I need to swap out and \or dilute...

Lost a few more pieces probably a combination of my frag setup and related turnover rate plus the CaCl dumping into the sump... including my vivid confetti and Gusty's blue tenius dbtc.

But think I have everything back on track now, more or less...

Thankfully, I foudn out about this issue last night...while I couldn't act until this morning, I did manage to push out a significant ship of ultra highend pieces due to arrive tomorrow... so grateful for that!

Last edited:
AquaJapan85
====

Not a good week with al my equipment issues...

Casualty list:
RR Dante Inferno
Strawberry shortcake
TSA bill murray
ARC fireworks
Vivid confetti
2 Indo frags
Gusty's blue tenius dbtc

Intensive care:
Ofzarkia Red Planet DBTC ( saved some)
Indo blue green colony
RR the Vinh

AquaJapan85
====

Not a good week with al my equipment issues...

Casualty list:
RR Dante Inferno
Strawberry shortcake
TSA bill murray
ARC fireworks
Vivid confetti
2 Indo frags
Gusty's blue tenius dbtc

Intensive care:
Ofzarkia Red Planet DBTC ( saved some)
Indo blue green colony
RR the Vinh

Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AquaJapan85
====
Well, it finally happened... one of my filefish went rogue and started picking one one of my indo colonies. Nothing else but that one. What i don't know is if it was RTN-ing and the filefish was just cleaning up since it tends to not care about my pieces usually or if it caused the damage.

Try as I might, can't catch him. I caught the female but the one time I caught the culprit, he jumped the net, into the overflow, and jumped out of the overflow back into the tank.

But determined to grab him... don't need more undue stress on my sps.

Numbers i think are getting in line parameter wise... and Ca is starting to float down with minimal alk fluctuations. I am burning extra Trident reagents at the moment to do more frequent tests but worth it.

Skimmer is finally dialed in and behaving again.

Later on this week, going to swap out my vectra m1/2 and swap in a varios 8. More flow, and ability for tieing into Apex. Plus I am hoping the varios is more quiet than the vectra. My tank is 2 feet from my desk and despite a new pump, it's still audible. And louder than my jebao. Worth a shot.

Just need to DIY a 1-10v cable to connect to the Apex first.

On a happy note, scoly healing super powers are real...60% of the surface flesh was torn away even as of yesterday...but look at it now:

20200819_091359.jpg

that is quite the recovery there son. I would never have seen that coming.
yeah, this scoly has super powers... seen if look like at deaths door and bounces back in 24 hours. I didn't take a pic of the aftermath on day 2 with teh urchin... all the dark and translucent spots you see there were all open holes with exposed skeleton.

For catching the fish, one of the recent BRS videos mentioned using red light to catch them. Basically you wait until the fish is resting while the lights are off, then just turn on the red channels which fish apparently can’t see and then you can scoop it out without it seeing the net. In theory. I’m interested if it works so maybe you can give it a shot on the file fish

For catching the fish, one of the recent BRS videos mentioned using red light to catch them. Basically you wait until the fish is resting while the lights are off, then just turn on the red channels which fish apparently can’t see and then you can scoop it out without it seeing the net. In theory. I’m interested if it works so maybe you can give it a shot on the file fish
Yeah -- i was just thinking last night, be great is the fish were like a cockroach and not see red... hah. normally they all swim up to me but since I am now wearing a N95 mask when I am in my office, they're all spooked. was planning on waiting while it sleeps tonight... hopefully, it's not doint it in between the rocks.

last night it finally slept in an open area but right next to my frag rack... no way I would damage mystery frags over it. The female came by and pushed it out of the way and so I caught her instead fro poking her nose where it doesn't belong

AquaJapan85
====

Finally caught the filefish! took 3 tries... first two times, it jumped the net. One the second one, it got its barbs caught on the netting but as I went to try to free it, it jumped back into the water... @#$$!!

@max_nano yeah -- red light didn't help. It was a pain to see in the dark with the red light... and it still saw me coming.

Back