Our mission

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

AquaJapan85
====

Well, that's a bust. The Looney Tunes went out over night. Sigh.

Something must have happened with FedEx handling between the shop's door and mine. Never had I received a box where so many pieces, particularly colonies come DOA. The shop spared no expense to deliver solid packing too, including the use of thermal bags too...

AquaJapan85
====

Well, that's a bust. The Looney Tunes went out over night. Sigh.

Something must have happened with FedEx handling between the shop's door and mine. Never had I received a box where so many pieces, particularly colonies come DOA. The shop spared no expense to deliver solid packing too, including the use of thermal bags too
So sorry. that's just sickening! Did you by any chance check the temps of the bags/water upon receipt? Last time I had corals cook in the box- water was like 89 degrees

So sorry. that's just sickening! Did you by any chance check the temps of the bags/water upon receipt? Last time I had corals cook in the box- water was like 89 degrees
I didn't check temp... saw the cloudy water and hustled to try to unpack and save what I could... It felt cold though.

I can't fault the packing though... it was well done and in thermal bags. Only thing is no ice packs, but usually not needed with thermal bags if you start them off at the right temp.

FedEx was late 2 hours but that shouldn't have been such a large impact across so many pieces. So only thing I can think of is there might have been a heat spike so some serious box shaking \ dropping along the way (or maybe was too cold?).

1599166047961.png

I didn't check temp... saw the cloudy water and hustled to try to unpack and save what I could... It felt cold though.

I can't fault the packing though... it was well done and in thermal bags. Only thing is no ice packs, but usually not needed with thermal bags if you start them off at the right temp.

FedEx was late 2 hours but that shouldn't have been such a large impact across so many pieces. So only thing I can think of is there might have been a heat spike so some serious box shaking \ dropping along the way (or maybe was too cold?).

View attachment 19256

What were the temps at the hubs and how long did they stay there?

View attachment 19256
Ice packs would've been nice, but you're right, the packing looks legit and well done. But, as Randy is alluding to, the temps at those hubs can get up there.

AquaJapan85 (...ish)
====

After my XR15 died on my DPV tank, i moved the deathstar to it. Good news is that the xr15 seems to just need a new fuse.

While i was at it, i did some light swapping... XR30W over my WB20...taking the XR15 G4 Pro from there to place over the 5G frag

Problem is the tank has thin glass ...5mm. So was afraid the weight of the RMS and XR15 would just crack the glass. I mounted the XR15 on the DT glass bit the light was too high so only got 85 PAR at 100% AB+.

The though of using too RMS to balance the weight on 2 walls of the 5G frag. But that setup turned out too wide. Was at my wits end but then though of an idea -- i had a spare hanging kit from my Aqamai LRM. So used the cable threaded through the RMS bracket and a few zip ties to do a semi-DIY.

Not too shabby!

20200906_192407.jpg

AquaJapan85 (...ish)
====

After my XR15 died on my DPV tank, i moved the deathstar to it. Good news is that the xr15 seems to just need a new fuse.

While i was at it, i did some light swapping... XR30W over my WB20...taking the XR15 G4 Pro from there to place over the 5G frag

Problem is the tank has thin glass ...5mm. So was afraid the weight of the RMS and XR15 would just crack the glass. I mounted the XR15 on the DT glass bit the light was too high so only got 85 PAR at 100% AB+.

The though of using too RMS to balance the weight on 2 walls of the 5G frag. But that setup turned out too wide. Was at my wits end but then though of an idea -- i had a spare hanging kit from my Aqamai LRM. So used the cable threaded through the RMS bracket and a few zip ties to do a semi-DIY.

Not too shabby!

View attachment 19387
Put the seneye to the tank to gauge PAR and lowered the lights to where the bottom gets about 200 PAR. Conveniently, it works out to be 250 at mid height and 300 at top...perfect for sps frags. :)

AquaJapan85
====

Need to get myself to an exorcism... I've been befallen to a reefing curse.

Discovered my aquabus on my primary eb832 went out. Took my Trident and DOS offline with it. I keep checking and numbers looked normal but in reality, it was frozen from 12 hours+ prior... like a scene out of a spy movie where the video feed is replaced by a still.

Alk was tight between 9.2 and 9.5 after I restabilized the system. But with not running the DOS for that window, alk dropped to 8.2... grrr.

And while were at it. Some tang and /or urching knocked a bunch of frags off my rack and onto yumas and sand. Needless to say sand and yumas won.

AquaJapan85(...ish)
===

Think i got everything reconfigured and sorted properly so i can avoid frequent dosing spikes in the 5G frag bucket.

Been keeping the box fairly empty as I've been unsure about putting in too many of my sps pieces and running the chance of losing them due to dosing and flow issues.

Decided to just test the waters (no pun intended) a bit by putting a few expendable pieces in at a time. But once i got started, I thought a better use in the meanwhile might be to move all my euphyllias, yumas, and anything that might get in the way of happy acros but too nice to stick in a frag tank unseen into the tank instead.

Kinda like what I'm seeing...

20200909_010841.jpg
20200909_010855.jpg
20200909_010904.jpg
20200909_010911.jpg
20200909_010923.jpg

AquaJapan85
====

On maybe a more positive outcome... looks like after the EB832 failure from the other day that took my DOS and Trident offline for a good part of the day, my system seems to have resettled at about 8.7+/-0.1 dkh. So thinking rather than push it back up to 9.8 dkh that I use to run at prior to my mess, I might just keep it here at the current level. It's not a bad spot to be, considering my pH is also running around 8.3 - 8.4. Ca is a bit on higher end but not bad at 455ppm.

1599674449032.png

One of my favorite colonies started to show signs of STN...yellow with red polyps.

So decided to frag off the affected portion. Problem is that it's a tabling acro with dense skeletal structure . Couldn't cut it with bone cutters at all.

20200817_152658.jpg

So had to use a dremel with a diamond blade. Not the best tool since can produce a lot of heat. Tried to make it less of an impact through short cutting time and dip in bucket....rinse. repeat. Then following up with the bone cutters. Very old school wild west surgery at the dentist style.

Seemed to have saved the colony but time will tell.

20200908_171350.jpg

20200908_172726.jpg

AquaJapan 85
====

Well, mystery of my disappearing anthias solved... it somehow hopped the tank, and found its was into my ATO reservoir through a small opening --- did it mention it's an IM 5G ATO that's INSIDE my cabinet? WTH. second fish that threw itself in there in 2 years....

Back