Neptune Aquatics

New & adopted 60gal SPS/zoa cube

Hello!

I'm returning to marine tanks after getting my feet wet with softies ~7 yrs ago. A family member with a 60gal cube with a lot of developed SPS was looking to exit the hobby and I decided to seize the opportunity! His setup is mature (going on at least 8 years) and pretty easy to learn as it has an auto top off and can auto dose with all-for-reef. Combined with the sump it has pretty stable water parameters. The flow is high due to twin MP40s.

This tank has 6-7 SPS varieties (acropora and montipora) and zoas to support a pair of clownfish. I wish I knew which corals these are (pretty sure the large acropora is garf bonsai), maybe someone here with more expertise can point me in the right direction. The cube also came with two wrasses (Melanurus and Ornate Leopard). The only inverts it came with were two urchins; no shrimps, snails, or crabs.

It also came with a good amount of bubble algae and aiptasia (interesting times learning how to deal with both!)

I've added a clean up crew consisting of peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs to deal with the nuisane algae/aiptasia, as well as many snails and hermits. I'm in the process of adding two new fish. A tomini tang & royal gramma that my girlfriend picked out; we're both divers and this fish is a favorite to behold. They're under quarantine for 21 days while I dose with general cure.

Anyway just want to show myself and my new aquarium. Look forward to meeting more local folks who are into reefing! Based in SJ

Attachments

• 60gal_cube.png
    60gal_cube.png
    840.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hello!

I'm returning to marine tanks after getting my feet wet with softies ~7 yrs ago. A family member with a 60gal cube with a lot of developed SPS was looking to exit the hobby and I decided to seize the opportunity! His setup is mature (going on at least 8 years) and pretty easy to learn as it has an auto top off and can auto dose with all-for-reef. Combined with the sump it has pretty stable water parameters. The flow is high due to twin MP40s.

This tank has 6-7 SPS varieties (acropora and montipora) and zoas to support a pair of clownfish. I wish I knew which corals these are (pretty sure the large acropora is garf bonsai), maybe someone here with more expertise can point me in the right direction. The cube also came with two wrasses (Melanurus and Ornate Leopard). The only inverts it came with were two urchins; no shrimps, snails, or crabs.

It also came with a good amount of bubble algae and aiptasia (interesting times learning how to deal with both!)

I've added a clean up crew consisting of peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs to deal with the nuisane algae/aiptasia, as well as many snails and hermits. I'm in the process of adding two new fish. A tomini tang & royal gramma that my girlfriend picked out; we're both divers and this fish is a favorite to behold. They're under quarantine for 21 days while I dose with general cure.

Anyway just want to show myself and my new aquarium. Look forward to meeting more local folks who are into reefing! Based in SJ
Welcome to the club, awesome looking ready made reef. Some wrasses are known to eat crabs and snails, perhaps that's why none are currently in the tank fyi.

Urchins spikes protect them making them harder to be eaten.

This Saturday we are having a members only frag swap, where members will come from all of the bay area to socialize and swap corals. It's currently for supporting members only. I would recommend being a supporting member there are plenty of perks. Such as being able to borrow club equipment and attend member only frag swaps.

We are a fun group, and truly dedicated to the hobby. I'm in santa clara and there are plenty of other members near you in san jose as well.
Our frag swaps are fun, and great a great place to meet many other local hobbist.

Again welcome, and congrats on the amazing tank.

Last edited:
Back