Cali Kid Corals

New AWC option!

Yes n no. There is a fair amount of programming to do, also depends on the ATO setup.

I will probably attempt it with the Apex but may get this anyway.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this seems like it would be easy to do with 2 sensors and 2 pumps

time activation (or whatever to activate it) would trigger pump A to run and pump "old" water out until level A sensor was made.. then pump B turns on till sensor B is made. Would be few lines of programming in a Apex and done :)

When I was doing my DIY water exchange, I decided doing it with level sensors was not a great plan.
The problem is that the water in need to exactly match the water out.
1) Sensors themselves are not that accurate.
2) Ripples and waves affect measurement.
I tried it a bit, and it was pretty random.
When I tried with two identical peristaltic pumps, calibrated, it was VERY repeatable.

Also: They look to be missing a key sensor!
You really need a sensor in the salt water container. Many people will forget to mix that every time.
If that goes empty, what happens is this:
The SW exchange pumps salt water out, but no salt water in.
Your ATO later notices water is low, so pumps fresh water in.
Repeat.
Salinity drops pretty rapidly.
And since water level actually stays pretty level, hard to notice.

Good point Mark.. you would need 3 sensors :) if sensor C was not at min level.. then A / B are disabled :D

I personally dont see the water change itself as that big of a deal, but it seems the bigger "hassle" is dealing with the new and old water. With my setup, i can do a 50 gallon water change in under 20 mins so its not a big time deal, but dealing with the 50 gallons of waste water is :D need to figure out how to remove the salt out of it so i can dump it on my lawn!!!! :D

Back