Jestersix

New LED lights launched today.

@mahina_corals launched his new light bars today. I'm not affiliated or paid. I just think they are a great new option designed from the ground up by a hobbyist. I love the work he's put in on the spectrum, design, and affordability.

Very interesting.
I like no-fan solutions.
Good options on different LED choices.

Seem to be missing some of the programmability and ramping. But maybe that is a good thing.

A possible sales problem though.
They describe the different spectral options.
But no refunds + No tank pictures with different options = risky choice.

Very interesting.
I like no-fan solutions.
Good options on different LED choices.

Seem to be missing some of the programmability and ramping. But maybe that is a good thing.

A possible sales problem though.
They describe the different spectral options.
But no refunds + No tank pictures with different options = risky choice.
Lack of programmability and ramping fits with my thinking that these are a replacement for T5's and would be used alongside another light with those features like my T5 hybrid/AP9X fixture. Or as stand alone fixtures on aquaculture setups. Offering an inline dimmer as an option down the road would be great.

I agree with you on the no refund policy. That could cause some lost sales with a brand new product launch.

Well, I ordered a pair of 36" lights. 1 Reef Crest and 1 Meso Blue. They'll either see duty on the 75g with a pair of AI Prime 16hd OR a pair of Orphek blue bars. I'll figure that out after I test with the PAR meter. Should I bring them to the frag swap?

My future goal is to break down both the 69g and 75g to upgrade to a IM 112 EXT. In which case the 4 bars and an AP9X will be a good combo. Or 2 bars with a T5 hybrid + AP9X. Or one Kessil A500X and sell all the lights I have lol. Having options will be nice if I can get upgraded within a year.

Here are some tank pics of the Quantareef Pro's. Front to back Meso Blue, Reefcrest Daylight and Orphek Blue Plus. PAR figures are about 420 center top and 200-230 front middle sandbed up to the OG Mummy Eye chalice. The red monti area gets about 325 PAR. Anywhere from 70-150 in the corners. Left side is shadowed due to the GHL fans.

First pic is with an orange/yellow filter and 2nd without filter. No other adjustments made to the images. Taken with galaxy Pixel 4

EDIT These are over an IM 75 INT

Attachments

• PXL_20220302_005019420~2.jpg
    PXL_20220302_005019420~2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 198
  • PXL_20220302_005033944~2.jpg
    PXL_20220302_005033944~2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 196
They seem like a good option for T5 replacement.

I'd like some controllability beyond on/off.

No refund is a deal breaker though. Even with credit card charge back coverage, I won't buy from a company with this policy.

He’s caught a lot of heat on social media. @Da_Neefer what do you make of it assuming you’re caught up on what’s been said
I haven't been following in detail but I think I have the general gist of it. If these lights are a scam, I'm happy to have been scammed. The only competitor bar lights I've owned are the Orphek bars. They're excellent lights. The cords being super stiff was my only real complaint. I'm not going bash Reef Brites as I haven't owned any but probably would buy the Alibaba Orphek clone bars before considering them. Especially since I see them as purely supplemental to a better light. (at a much higher price)

After following the Quanta development on IG, the associated testing by Luca and now others, and seeing the Quanta's over my tank, they're better in my mind. I do think they're a legit lighting option as a stand alone solution or as a supplement to a point source. I don't have a spectrometer to test them myself but don't think I need to. Nor would I want to DIY solder my own LED bar with individual LED's like someone claimed was "better and cheaper"

I'm happy with the purchase and would order again. Even for a much bigger tank. Comparing the Orpheks vs the Quanta's visually (I have 2 Quanta's and 1 Orphek over the IM 75INT now) the difference is clear. I love the color temp I'm getting out of them.

I hate this sort of drama and feel bad that someone doing something I think is good for the hobby is being pooped on. Without much, or any, real evidence that I have seen. Bottom line to me is if they grow coral, have the spectrum claimed, the price point is good for me, and I'm satisfied with the product, then it's game on. So far all the right boxes seem to be checked. I believe these lights to be as advertised. The only thing now is to see how they perform over time.

The attached picture is left to right, Orphek blue, Quanta Reef Crest daylight, Quanta Meso blue

Attachments

• PXL_20220308_034032965.jpg
    PXL_20220308_034032965.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 142
Hi , Newbie on here from the UK and have seen posts on Quanta meso bars , I have recently fit 2 x 4' meso bars on a 1000L sps system removing a Reefbrite and 2 x OR3 a blue plus and a violet actinic and can saythat i am more than happy with the bars and the tank back to a more T5 look after the cold look previous and corals are happy. The OR bars when i tested them with a seneye approx 16'' off the ground showed a 6-8'' hot band with little spread and a drop in par around 60 at the edge of the hotspot bar they produce . The quanta showed an even spread with no hot spot and a par of 204 which was a slight increase over the OR blue plus not very technical but it was more of what i have been looking for.

I haven't been following in detail but I think I have the general gist of it. If these lights are a scam, I'm happy to have been scammed. The only competitor bar lights I've owned are the Orphek bars. They're excellent lights. The cords being super stiff was my only real complaint. I'm not going bash Reef Brites as I haven't owned any but probably would buy the Alibaba Orphek clone bars before considering them. Especially since I see them as purely supplemental to a better light. (at a much higher price)

After following the Quanta development on IG, the associated testing by Luca and now others, and seeing the Quanta's over my tank, they're better in my mind. I do think they're a legit lighting option as a stand alone solution or as a supplement to a point source. I don't have a spectrometer to test them myself but don't think I need to. Nor would I want to DIY solder my own LED bar with individual LED's like someone claimed was "better and cheaper"

I'm happy with the purchase and would order again. Even for a much bigger tank. Comparing the Orpheks vs the Quanta's visually (I have 2 Quanta's and 1 Orphek over the IM 75INT now) the difference is clear. I love the color temp I'm getting out of them.

I hate this sort of drama and feel bad that someone doing something I think is good for the hobby is being pooped on. Without much, or any, real evidence that I have seen. Bottom line to me is if they grow coral, have the spectrum claimed, the price point is good for me, and I'm satisfied with the product, then it's game on. So far all the right boxes seem to be checked. I believe these lights to be as advertised. The only thing now is to see how they perform over time.

The attached picture is left to right, Orphek blue, Quanta Reef Crest daylight, Quanta Meso blue
What mounting solutions are available for them? I only saw hanging.

The Quanta Mesa light that I bought only had hanging mounts and a couple brackets that attach to the top of the bar itself. I've made and bought (3d-printed) some attachments that I'm hoping will let me sit the light on the top of the tank and still be removable for feeding and water changes. The hanging options look like they would work just fine; I just didn't want to drill any holes in the wall.

All
What mounting solutions are available for them? I only saw hanging.
Orphek light mounts work great with them. A bit pricey tbh but good quality. Not sure about their fancy new acrylic mounts. One set of those per bar gets really pricey. I’ll be selling a pair of Orphek 36” blue bars and the rimless tank mount for them in a few months when I break down the 75g. There is a stand that fits to the end of the bars on Amazon that works. Sits on the edge of the tank and pretty cheap at about $12ish.

I’m building an 80/20 light rack for the new 112g.

I got my Quanta Pro Reef Crest light up on my frag tank and I'm very happy with it. I was able to utilize the included hanging system.

Attachments

• 20220522_100857.jpg
    20220522_100857.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 244
I saw the ones Da Neefer had and they were nice. I think I'm actually gonna order the Chinese ones though.

I think the Quanta's are special order/modified version of those that are better, but they also offer blue plus/sky blue/reef day spectra direct from the factory. No returns etc is easier to look past if they are dirt cheap.

1 month lead time to get them. If someone wants to go in on it with me it'd be like $100 for 2x24" or $110 for 2x36" (they don't have 48"). Anyone interested should DM me.

Back