Neptune Aquatics

New tank build. Need help.

Bean animal is three drains, herbie is two, but you’d want them both in the same overflow box, so unless you run returns over the back wall you can’t really do either unless there’s something I’m not understanding here.

Last edited:
The tank has two mega overflows!
Total is two durso standpipe drains that are 1’’and two returns 3/4‘’

It is not a flow problem, it is a silence problem. If noise is not a concern, then don't worry, it will work great.

With 2 overflows, you ideally want 6 drains. Yes, really. Go look up overflows in detail.

That said, you can make a single pipe totally silent also.
My tank was drilled before I learned about all the options, and I managed to do it. But it was difficult.
I have a 240G with dual overflows.
The dual overflows make it more complex, because the flow varies a bit between them.

It is not a flow problem, it is a silence problem. If noise is not a concern, then don't worry, it will work great.

With 2 overflows, you ideally want 6 drains. Yes, really. Go look up overflows in detail.

That said, you can make a single pipe totally silent also.
My tank was drilled before I learned about all the options, and I managed to do it. But it was difficult.
I have a 240G with dual overflows.
The dual overflows make it more complex, because the flow varies a bit between them.
So how did you do it then?

So how did you do it then?
I have a vertical tube in the overflow, that goes almost to the waterline.
It goes straight into the bulkhead.
At the very bottom of the tube, I drilled a big hole. I then put a slightly larger pipe section loose around it.
So by moving the larger pipe section, I can change the flow through the hole.
I adjust it so that 90% of the water goes through the bottom.
But enough goes through the top, such that the overflow fills up slowly, and trickles down the full tube.

I do get air sucked in, but it mixes way down at the bottom of the tube, so you cannot hear it.
But that also means it is not in full siphon, so you don't get the "flush" effect.

In a way, it is like a Durso, but with an extra inner valve.

HOWEVER: My sump is not much lower than the bottom of the tank, since it is in the garage.
I am not sure my method would work on a more normal setup.

I have a vertical tube in the overflow, that goes almost to the waterline.
It goes straight into the bulkhead.
At the very bottom of the tube, I drilled a big hole. I then put a slightly larger pipe section loose around it.
So by moving the larger pipe section, I can change the flow through the hole.
I adjust it so that 90% of the water goes through the bottom.
But enough goes through the top, such that the overflow fills up slowly, and trickles down the full tube.

I do get air sucked in, but it mixes way down at the bottom of the tube, so you cannot hear it.
But that also means it is not in full siphon, so you don't get the "flush" effect.

In a way, it is like a Durso, but with an extra inner valve.

HOWEVER: My sump is not much lower than the bottom of the tank, since it is in the garage.
I am not sure my method would work on a more normal setup.
Pretty cool idea. You think that up all yourself?

Back