Neptune Aquatics

New to BAR but not reefing

Hello BAR community. I’ve been aware of this site for years and finally joined. I’ve been reefing on and off since the early 2000s and if you used to have a German Blue Polyp Acro you probably got a frag from me. Also If you still have a frag I’m looking for one lol.

At my core I’m a SPS junky and have been off them for over 5 years while moving to zoas and softies while starting a family. Thinking it would be a lot less demanding, training my brain to except that it’s ok to have a tank with “dirty water” has been an unexpected challenge. I thanks my kids and work for allowing me to ignore my tank for long stretches and by doing so I have maintained a semi successful softy tank.

At my peak I had a Mainland DD 250 gallon sps dominant tank with a mix of fairy wrasses and tangs. Now my main tank is a IM nuvo 40 gallon that I’ve had since my daughter was born. It’s zoa dominant tank with a few mushrooms and torches that I maintained with a Gen 1 Radion, MP10 QD and kalkstirrer. I’m a big believer in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Earlier this year someone gave me a red planet frag that I threw in my tank and forgot about. After encrusting a 1.5” disc it did nothing for months. Then grew 4 branches and is starting to look like a mini colony. From there my sps addiction was reborn.

While I’m not new to the reefing I am new to bareefers.org and look forward to share our reefing experience together.

-Andre

Welcome to the club! If you're ever down in the south bay let me know; I've got a miyagi tort and probably some other sps I could give you to add to your collection.

Welcome! Softy tank sounded like a great way to keep your hands wet while having a busy life.
Join up and start a tank journal so we can see that red planet.

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your journey. I think it’s important for people to hear that it’s fine to scale back to a simple enjoyable system when needed with the idea you can still ramp up later when you have more time.

Welcome back! Good luck avoiding the sps addiction ;) Can't say how many times when setting a new tank that I wanted to make it an easy to keep softie dominant, to only get sucked back in.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I’m located in San Ramon and hopefully after the holidays I’ll have some free time to clean my tank and start posting some pictures to document my journey. Last night I replaced my Gen 1 Radion with a Gen 5 Blue, let’s see how my red planet continues to growing under it.

Attachments

• 0FEF9936-4E46-44D2-AECF-F7124D29620C.jpeg
    0FEF9936-4E46-44D2-AECF-F7124D29620C.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 109
Back