Cali Kid Corals

New to these forums and SW all together...

Greetings,

I'm the new guy here...

Made a post on centralvalleyreefers and was referred to this site by jestersix...

I'm in the Brentwood area, and looking to start a new tank...

picked up a 270g 72"L x 24"H x 36"W tank... I'm building a home made stand and canopy for it.

Plan on going Reef with / Fish...

I'm gonna be around and learning as much as I can before I actually put fish into the tank... Taking my time, didn't plan on having fish for at least 6 months...

Not much else to say, besides thanks for having me...

OEF vet here, welcome! You should come to the annual bar swap if you have a chance just to see what it's all about! I started about the same time last year and attending the swap and talking to people helped me out a ton.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12186 (you don't have to pay to come and hang out)

Thank you for the welcomes, I really appreciate it...

The swap sounds pretty fun, I don't have anything to trade...

Is the swap child friendly?

Getting into SW in my home will have to become a family hobby, and I'd like to bring my Wife and Children to observe the action and help pick out dream corals...

Thanks, I got a great deal on the tank, picked it up used...

BAR is family friendly indeed
IME my family does not enjoy the hobby as much as I do so I plan my attendance ahead of time so they can have a good time and I can enjoy a good time as well.

Sounds like I'll have to figure out what the plans for Saturday are then...

Thanks for the invitation...

Oh I made a donation via paypal for the site.

Welcome to BAR! It's an awesome hobby you got yourself into (well not for your wallet but that's another story...)

The #1 TIP: Take things slow and steady, the end result tends to be much better.
Tip #2 Research, and ask a lot of questions!
Tip #3 Check out Reef Builders (of course :p hehe), its a very cool blog and worth checking out even if you are a newbie. Glasbox design is/was good too so worth checking out too. Nano reef blog is/ was good too if you're into nano's and reef tanks in general. Why is/was with GBD and NRB? Both sites have become quite inactive lately :( (I guess I should be happy, but oh well)

Yep, I planned on taking everything slow... Since I am doing a lot of DIY stuff I figured it would be about 6 months before I was ready for my first coral/fish... I've been reading and looking up Salt Water for about 5 years now... I've read a dozen different books on the subject... I'll have to checkout reef builders...

Sorry guys, I wasn't able to make it down today, had a few things come up at home... Hope the Swap went well, I will look forward to the next one...

Back