Neptune Aquatics

nnnnnnnnnnnnn

Jeremy, I'm looking into a few things :D

Maybe it's time for BAR to get into sexual coral reproduction.

We've done asexual to death by now :D

No joke, gotta keep the bloodlines strong. Plus, we can figure out what the heck those way too cool looking fragplugs are. Did you check those out?

So they are working with Acropora palmata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkhorn_coral

90% of it has been lost in the wild in recent years.

Did you read on the successes they've had in breeding A. palmata?

Amazing.

Yep. to me the holy grail of reefkeeping, I'm still trying to get some myself, my contact had foot problems last time I was down south. I'd love to setup a palmata only tank, super shallow like a frag tank running an intense gyre, one 400w 10k. Maybe they'd want to give us some of those cool fragplugs with coral already on them...

I really think we're getting close to captive sexual reproduction on the hobbyist level, between the Pocci program, and efforts like this all the smart people will do the grunt work for us, and we'll sit back and talk about how cool we are :D

What exactly triggers sexual reproduction in coral?

Water temps, nutrient levels, mooncycle? Are these things known enough to "program" sexual reproduction?

How intense of flow do you really need for those A. palmata. I've read up on them, but the flow info on them just says really intense.

How is that translated into what we're able to reproduce? Is that like cranking up the flow all the way on a vortec in say a 10 gallon?...

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3480.msg39703#msg39703 date=1207329623]
What exactly triggers sexual reproduction in coral?

Water temps, nutrient levels, mooncycle? Are these things known enough to "program" sexual reproduction?
[/quote]That's what the smart people are working on Tony, duh :D

There are too many factors, that's the problem, eventually it'll be like shellfish where there is a distinct trigger that may or may not emulate anything in nature (for example peroxide for spawning with abalone, then GABA to induce settlement)

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3480.msg39704#msg39704 date=1207329969]
How intense of flow do you really need for those A. palmata. I've read up on them, but the flow info on them just says really intense.

How is that translated into what we're able to reproduce? Is that like cranking up the flow all the way on a vortec in say a 10 gallon?...
[/quote]Lots of laminar flow is key, there is not as much surge in the areas where palmata is found, but some serious current. Of course there is the occasional swell event, just nothing like what is found in the Pacific/Indian ocean. They also do not do well when placed in tanks with other varieties of coral, I believe they are very susceptible to aleopathy .

So basically the freshwater equivalent to a "river tank"
image_preview

Back