Neptune Aquatics

Not sure how I feel about this, BRS order

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
So last night was the last day of the 10% sale off quite a few items, I am getting low on kalkwasser so look at what options are available, ultimately decided on the BRS "Pharma" kalkwasser (that's another post in itself). Add it to the cart, it normally is $30+ but with the 10% off it's 27.98, not sure if that gets me free shipping, forgot how much it was... $25? so click on checkout and see
Subtotal : $27.98
Shipping: FREE
Sales tax: 0.00
[PLACE ORDER]

Ok groovy click on the "Place order" button, and this is a moment that's probably on me... they have my card and info on file so it automatically processes it, then I notice a little bar that says "Free shipping on orders over $29" strange I click on "My Orders" and see that my order cost $35 and change, $4.99 shipping, and some sales tax. Now this kind of pissed me off, but later found there's a glitch/bug on their site that does this if you place something in a cart an immediately go to checkout which bypasses all the "review order" screens.

Now I placed this order at like 10:30pm, so there was no one there to contact after hours, so I sent an email asking to cancel the order. Then this morning, at a little after 7am, I get an email back with a "sorry but your order already shipped" now that alone left me a little perplexed, are they seriously that slow that my order went got packed up, and shipped first thing in the morning? Now I managed to chat with someone today who told me the same thing, but he refunded the shipping to me so all was good.

Here's the part I don't feel right about, I get this a UPS notification, and the timeline says the label was actually created at 5:30pm, not 7:30am when they claimed it was already shipped. It also says shipped at 8:42pm. Now I realize that those notification tools the shipping companies use sometimes are... less than helpful... but it does make more sense that "it already shipped" at 7:30am. Because I know they didn't pack it the prior night unless they do 24 hour packing (doubtful), and to think it was all packed up so early in the morning AND UPS had morning pickups left me wondering.

Basically I'm curious if BRS just straight up lied to me to keep the order going, or if their customer service simply doesn't have enough info and somewhere on a computer it was in a position where they feel they can't "undo" the procedure. Either way, considering it was "3 day shipping" and it's supposed to show up a full 7 days "after it shipped" does make me think it's more on the side of lying to me, and they did the land mule shipping method that cost less because they didn't make a shipping label until later that night.

Considering its BRS, if you give them a call or chat, I'm sure they would refund/make it right.
Their customer service is excellent.

Generally the fair cutoff for "shipped" is when the team starts packing items together, not when it is put on the truck.
That should be when it reaches the top of the queue and people start on it.
But it could easily be when the data is put in the database after your bank confirms the charge, so instantly.
All depends on the software.

So my bet:
They were not "Lying" specifically, but really just limited by whatever computer system they have set up.

Considering its BRS, if you give them a call or chat, I'm sure they would refund/make it right.
Their customer service is excellent.
Well it was all made right, I was just possibly miffed that I was being lied to (or misled) that it already "shipped", when I received the email first thing in the morning. I'm not sure if they had a slow day of sales the prior night so mine was put together first thing in the morning, or they were simply using the term "shipped" to mean anywhere in the packing chain as Mark suggested. But considering the packing label wasn't created until 5:30pm, I'm left to question how "shipped" it was.

I’m sure it’s more like your order was sent to the fulfillment/shipping dept so it was too late to easily cancel.

Yeah I figure, guys putting stuff on a cart, to put it in a box is the point of no return :D

That said, their customer service (email) seem to really not get what's going on. I tried to tell them about a bug in the software that shows free shipping when you check out, and then adds it after the fact, and they think I'm still trying to get free shipping. Oh well, this is the life of most companies I gather.

Do you have an account at BRS with your CC# and shipping address already stored? If I add something to the cart that say costs $10, a pop up immediately comes up to "keep shopping" or "checkout now" by clicking on "checkout now" it bypasses all the "review your order page and goes right the final confirmation". If you go to "view cart" then it adds in all the shipping and tax.

Because I can do with other things too. The last one I did was an algae barn order, which they so kindly told me there is never free shipping on that. As seen in the attached picture. Now if I clicked that "place order" it would immediately place the order, however it won't get give me free shipping nor 0.00 sales tax. Those will be added after the fact.

Attachments

• Order.jpg
    Order.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 170
Do you have an account at BRS with your CC# and shipping address already stored? If I add something to the cart that say costs $10, a pop up immediately comes up to "keep shopping" or "checkout now" by clicking on "checkout now" it bypasses all the "review your order page and goes right the final confirmation". If you go to "view cart" then it adds in all the shipping and tax.

Because I can do with other things too. The last one I did was an algae barn order, which they so kindly told me there is never free shipping on that. As seen in the attached picture. Now if I clicked that "place order" it would immediately place the order, however it won't get give me free shipping nor 0.00 sales tax. Those will be added after the fact.
Wow that is misleading. Yeah, on mine I say View cart and it adds it all up like you’re saying.

I mean i alerted them (the customer support rep) of the bug, which FYI wasn't the point of the original post :D, and they can do whatever they want with it at this point. I might make one last mention in one of the BRS Youtube videos in case there's a huge disconnect between "customer service" and the "business side" of things, but now that I know that exists I'm not going to "accidentally" fall into that trap, I do feel for someone who doesn't realize the issue and ends up paying more than they think "oh hey I get free shipping!" but I don't think it's malicious on their part or anything.

Back