Neptune Aquatics

Ofzakaria Japanese Nepthea

It’s pretty hard to get a clear pic with the lights behind the coral, but my piece is a little big for the new tank. What’s the best way to cut this for it to heal quickly? Is it better to cut halfway down a ‘branch’ or at the point the ‘branch’ meets the main ‘trunk’?
41B5E973-4664-4D21-98C4-249CA7805C41.jpeg

I don’t think that matters much. Use a sharp scalpel or knife I think is best. I’ve used scissors, but I think they crush it a little so not quite as good. I bet the band saw would do well

I don’t think that matters much. Use a sharp scalpel or knife I think is best. I’ve used scissors, but I think they crush it a little so not quite as good. I bet the band saw would do well
Okay I’ll try a knife. I also used scissors the first time and the frags had PE long before the main piece showed any.

Anyone interested in a frag? I’m in SF. I could make a chunky one, I would just need about a week to heal it I think.

Also, I tried placing my piece close to the surface to see if I could encourage outward growth, but so far my time with this coral has made me think it grows better vertically so it’s good to have room above it.
7A8DE005-7B39-4787-BEFF-FBBB8AAF79F2.jpeg

Anyone interested in a frag? I’m in SF. I could make a chunky one, I would just need about a week to heal it I think.

Also, I tried placing my piece close to the surface to see if I could encourage outward growth, but so far my time with this coral has made me think it grows better vertically so it’s good to have room above it.
View attachment 19875
I would love to have one. I gave all my colony to the club cause I did not know how to frag it. Now I would love to hsve a frag back. Lol

i can probably make a frag soon
I believe you want to run carbon after cutting because it can release some stuff into the water that may impact other corals. It’s something I heard and have done each time so I’m not positive if it’s required. I’d recommend using something very sharp so you get a clean cut without squishing it. And try to cut it somewhere that won’t leave too large of a fresh cut. I find it heals faster if I cut a smaller piece off.

One cool thing about fragging this is that it will sprout polyps from where it was cut. Here’s what my piece looks like, the big concentration of polyps near the bottom left is where I last cut. I wouldn’t cut off as large of a branch, it took a long time to heal and start growing again.

9F6A1449-4B5A-43D8-A035-41609C030D8B.jpeg

I believe you want to run carbon after cutting because it can release some stuff into the water that may impact other corals. It’s something I heard and have done each time so I’m not positive if it’s required. I’d recommend using something very sharp so you get a clean cut without squishing it. And try to cut it somewhere that won’t leave too large of a fresh cut. I find it heals faster if I cut a smaller piece off.

One cool thing about fragging this is that it will sprout polyps from where it was cut. Here’s what my piece looks like, the big concentration of polyps near the bottom left is where I last cut. I wouldn’t cut off as large of a branch, it took a long time to heal and start growing again.

View attachment 23244
thank! i'll definitely run carbon. need to figure out what i can use to cut it since its attached to main rockwork and i can't bring it up.

did your mother colony close up for a while after being cut?

thank! i'll definitely run carbon. need to figure out what i can use to cut it since its attached to main rockwork and i can't bring it up.

did your mother colony close up for a while after being cut?
Polyps were retracted for awhile while it healed, maybe a week? I used fragging scissors, they pinch a bit and I don’t think it’s great for the coral. But scissors might be your best option if you can’t get it out, it just may take longer to heal.

I haven’t fragged this enough to say one way is better than the other. But I want to try using a knife or scalpel the next time I frag it so it doesn’t compress as much as it does with scissors

Back