Neptune Aquatics

Opinions requested about UV sterilizers

@rygh where does your UV return pull from? Do you have a preference upriver vs downriver if drawing from the sump?
That return pump is in the right hand side of my fuge/sump. Left side is skimmer and ATS with water level constant. Right side is for the return and some live rock.

Various opinions on placement.
Some people want UV on the drain, before the skimmer, so it kills algae that can then be skimmed out.
Others want UV to have as clean a water as possible, so it is most effective.
Me: I have an algae scrubber, which can yellow the water a bit, so a priority is to have UV downstream of that to clear water up.

Me: I have an algae scrubber, which can yellow the water a bit, so a priority is to have UV downstream of that to clear water up.
Thanks for breaking that down! I too run an algae scrubber and hadn't even considered that. I will setup the UV to pull downstream of the scrubber.

That return pump is in the right hand side of my fuge/sump. Left side is skimmer and ATS with water level constant. Right side is for the return and some live rock.

Various opinions on placement.
Some people want UV on the drain, before the skimmer, so it kills algae that can then be skimmed out.
Others want UV to have as clean a water as possible, so it is most effective.
Also, after the skimmer has more chance of micro bubbles building up inside depending on how it is installed. One of the reasons I opted for the closed loop is so I could adjust the flow rate independent of what I sent through the drain/sump/return. The system is like 700 gallons and I’m shooting for only 2-3 times turnover (so 1400-2100 gph). Even the 90 watt unit is rated at 2800 gph for 30k uw/cm2.

Back