got ethical husbandry?

Overhanging "tank" need critique.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I think I just was out in the sun too much today, but someone do some brain storming with me.

-I have a 300g rubbermade tub I'm going to use as a "greywater" storage (i.e. the super clean waste water that my RO unit kicks out), this will be used to water my garden at MY leisure rather than only when I make fresh RO/Di water...

-Now in order to more effectively have gravity push the water, I decided to raise it up on some concrete blocks, basically my yard is quite flat, so wanted to some positive elevation.

-To better distribute the weight I basically built a deck on these pads... and here comes the iffy part.

The deck does not extend all the way to the edge of container, and before I fill it up with water and wait for it to fail, I want to see if it will fail. Now I know if I take the extreme case of making the size of the deck down to a tiny area, yeah that will punch a hole right through the tank when it fills with water. But how much of an issue will it be if just the edges are hanging over?

I think it'll be ok, however, and this is where the too much time in the sun comes into play :), not quite sure of this. Not sure if the walls being supported will add to any of the strength of the bottom of the tank.

So basically it's a matter of keeping what I got, or flip the tank over and build a deck that's the size of the bottom (using it as a template) then I can basically have some cantilevered sections... but it requires more wood than I have :D

Yeah, I'll skin it with plywood so it's not just framing members, but I don't think a plywood overhanging the edges is going to be particularly useful as far as strength.

Jay: I've been out close to a month now.

Bryan: I dunno, you don't know what my going rate is do you? :D

I think I'm going to be alright, since the pressure that's pushing on the bottom is going to equal the weight of the container and it's contents divided by the area of the object it's sitting on. The walls don't carry the weight of the water, simply the outward pressure of the water not the downward.

I have split 5 of these very containers. Support all edges and the entire bottom. failure to do so may led to loss of the tank and water. While the walls do get pushed out, they also pull on the bottom *and* the plastic will sag over a short period of time. I thought I could get away with it and each time my thought proved wrong.

Back