Cali Kid Corals

Peninsula tank questions

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
I wanted to check in with anyone here that currently (or recently kept) a large (80g+) peninsula tank as a room divider. I've gotten @derek_SR 's input, would like to hear from @Royce023 as well and any others.

Perhaps if you could list your pros/cons in bullets? E.g. flow, lighting, cleaning, access, etc. The tank does appear easy to mount MP40s to the overflow short edge, but I know the far end can be hard to get consistent flow on.

One caveat, I'll need to make the decision end of day. Thanks!

Flow is a bit tougher. If you have canopy you can sometimes run return lines to opposite side from overflow above the tank and have them not show.
Also, external box is a huge plus or else mounting anything to the overflow side gets even harder
If you don’t have enough width aquascaping gets tough because you wanna leave 4-6” on each king side for cleaning etc so you really need minim 24” but ideally 30”width imo
Having a door or removable side on the short side of the stand can be nice especially if you can only access underneath from one of the long sides.
Access to the above from both long sides is really nice for coral placement and cleaning as well

• Flow: I had a difficult time with flow when I tried to keep all pumps only on the overflow end, just not turbulent enough with two gyres mounted vertically. I ended up adding two OctoPulse pumps on the viewing end and ran the wires along the light fixture to keep it tidy as possible. See pic below. Another option I've seen is adding a bulkhead to the bottom and have flow coming up that way but that comes with its own risks and custom work.
  • Aquascaping: If possible, get a tank wider than 24". Since you're aquascaping for two sides, you really have maybe 12" wide of rockwork to place corals on if you keep the rock 6" away from the glass on both sides.

You can't go wrong with a peninsula though. Loved mine as a room divider but unfortunately when I moved, the new house layout did not have anywhere where a peninsula made sense.

1725382904025.png

Flow is a bit tougher. If you have canopy you can sometimes run return lines to opposite side from overflow above the tank and have them not show.
Also, external box is a huge plus or else mounting anything to the overflow side gets even harder
If you don’t have enough width aquascaping gets tough because you wanna leave 4-6” on each king side for cleaning etc so you really need minim 24” but ideally 30”width imo
Having a door or removable side on the short side of the stand can be nice especially if you can only access underneath from one of the long sides.
Access to the above from both long sides is really nice for coral placement and cleaning as well
Yeah this tank is 30" wide with suicide doors on the sump which is nice.

I love the peninsula configuration! It can all be figured out. Any specific worries or questions? Both of mine were wall built in and I was able to scape the far side. Get a mask and snorkel if your arms are short. Or do everything with big tweezers.

I love the peninsula configuration! It can all be figured out. Any specific worries or questions? Both of mine were wall built in and I was able to scape the far side. Get a mask and snorkel if your arms are short. Or do everything with big tweezers.
Honestly I just wanted to hear people's gripes! The tank I'm looking at has a depth of 23.4" but my arms are slightly longer. But I figure a peninsula with access from both sides isn't bad.

I like that wiring @CaseyP !

Janky drawing in Paint 3D of the peninsula vs. wall corner tank using the staging photo. Both tanks are 59"L, 29.5"W, 23.6"H with stands that are 25.4" tall.

• Cons of peninsula: sun facing front window exposure. Can't see while seated on couch. More difficult flow dynamics. No gravity ATO.
  • Pros of peninsula: more viewing angles. More aquascaping creativity.

• Cons of corner: Won't be able to open right side stand suicide door, will need to flip electrical panel in stand. Less access around.
  • Pros of corner: Can see from couch, less light exposure. Less room use. Gravity ATO.
Living room.jpg

Janky drawing in Paint 3D of the peninsula vs. wall corner tank using the staging photo. Both tanks are 59"L, 29.5"W, 23.6"H with stands that are 25.4" tall.

• Cons of peninsula: sun facing front window exposure. Can't see while seated on couch. More difficult flow dynamics. No gravity ATO.
  • Pros of peninsula: more viewing angles. More aquascaping creativity.

• Cons of corner: Won't be able to open right side stand suicide door, will need to flip electrical panel in stand. Less access around.
  • Pros of corner: Can see from couch, less light exposure. Less room use. Gravity ATO.
View attachment 60041
I know there was a discussion about having t-shirts made... Can we please have a t-shirt with this picture????

The fish are a nice touch. As a peninsula owner, my vote is for the standard tank in the corner. The peninsula in your room is a really inefficient use of the space, creating that weird cubby between the tank and window. How many feet is that?

Another gripe nobody has mentioned is that a peninsula tank is so much more glass to clean! This is my least favorite part about the entire hobby - at least with my tank I have to clean the glass pretty much every single day. I hate it.

The fish are a nice touch. As a peninsula owner, my vote is for the standard tank in the corner. The peninsula in your room is a really inefficient use of the space, creating that weird cubby between the tank and window. How many feet is that?

Another gripe nobody has mentioned is that a peninsula tank is so much more glass to clean! This is my least favorite part about the entire hobby - at least with my tank I have to clean the glass pretty much every single day. I hate it.

I feel I'm on the Derek +1 train recently, but I'm a big peninsula fan and I also agree that setup seems a bit tough for the room overall.

Blocking half the natural light into your room from the big window due to the stand seems like something you'll not love. Additionally blocking that window behind the overflow seems undesirable, and would mean weird tank placement to avoid it. Additionally you'd have all the tank noises right next to your head while sitting on the couch, along with the glare of aquarium lights bouncing off your TV.

Ideally you'd want a chair facing the tank for hanging out in, but that'd be hard with the space too.

It's not really a room divider in that setup, it's more of a window(s) blocker with a small gap next to it.

I'd vote for peninsula somewhere else in the room, or standard tank. Or tear down that wall and put on where the TV goes :)

If you are not in a rush, I'd say move all your furniture into the room first than decide which tank best fits the space you have without feeling overcrowded. I'm a fan of peninsula tanks. I don't think it's that much more maintenance work than a traditional front facing tank. My only suggestion is if you go with a peninsula hanging your light from the ceiling is a must.

Why do you have to decide by tonight?

If you are not in a rush, I'd say move all your furniture into the room first than decide which tank best fits the space you have without feeling overcrowded. I'm a fan of peninsula tanks. I don't think it's that much more maintenance work than a traditional front facing tank. My only suggestion is if you go with a peninsula hanging your light from the ceiling is a must.

Why do you have to decide by tonight?
Sale ends on the tank

I have a big 10’ long peninsula tank. Absolutely love it. Almost like having two different tanks. For the flow mine needed to have a separate closed loop system installed to increase the water movement. Good luck! That is a beautiful tank!

Why did you go with CADE?
  • Advanced acrylics was a pain for @derek_SR
  • CDA appears to have shut down (email and website down for two weeks)
  • Red Sea...no explanation needed
  • Waterbox has mixed reviews (uneven stands, leaks, etc.)
  • SCA has good reviews but altering the center overflow means it would have to be custom
  • Tenecor looked really expensive for what you get
  • Elos has shut down USA operations
  • NYOS and Aquaforest I haven't heard much about yet
  • Innovative Marine 150 ext is great but had weird dimensions for the space I needed and could be months before delivery
  • TruVu isn't local anymore

Cades seem to be built really well and I like the built in ATO plus wider tank dimensions and the stands are aluminum and glass. Comes with plumbing, lid, sump, stand, and And the tank was 30% off for Labor Day. Saw them at RAP last year and they just look different in a good way. Only gripe so far is no eurobrace. Time will tell how I like it.

Back