Reef nutrition

pinpoint salinity monitor?

I have the salinity pinpoint monitor... I like it. Just make sure to rinse it off with FW after each use and recalibrate it every 6 months or so and it should be good.

I have not left mine in just because of feedback i've read on the false readings it will start to give after a while due to build up on the sensors. Plus... I use it between my main tank and SW mix bins.

I have one too. Once in a while I clean the probe with vinegar and recalibrate. It doesn't drift much though. I think they're really very accurate.

I do have two big complaints with it:
1) It's not waterproof. Once it stopped working because it got a little saltwater in it. I took it all apart, cleaned it, let it dry completely, and reassembled. It works again now, but what a pain.

2) It doesn't shut off automatically, so I'm frequently running the battery down.

I really wish that hanna made one of those little waterproof pens for high range salinity.

Thats good to know Pixelpixi... I have found mine to be super accurate but I've probably been overly cautious in my use of it. I may start using it on a continual basis to see how it does for myself. The RKE is supposed to have a module coming out soon that allows for a Salinity sensor so I think I'll be on that.

As far as the battery running out... isn't there an adaptor that you can use with it so that you can just plug it in.... no batteries?

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=6584.msg84943#msg84943 date=1235715383]
I have one too. Once in a while I clean the probe with vinegar and recalibrate. It doesn't drift much though. I think they're really very accurate.

I do have two big complaints with it:
1) It's not waterproof. Once it stopped working because it got a little saltwater in it. I took it all apart, cleaned it, let it dry completely, and reassembled. It works again now, but what a pain.

2) It doesn't shut off automatically, so I'm frequently running the battery down.

I really wish that hanna made one of those little waterproof pens for high range salinity.

[/quote]

really appreciate all the info here. As far as the ac adapter, seems like everyone's not happy about it as shown on review ratings.

pixelpixi, when you say not waterproof, are you refering to the monitor?

Yes... I'm sure she is refering to the monitor. What I've done to help avoid getting the monitor wet is I put a velcro soft backing on the monitor and the coarse velcro backing on 2-3 spots that I typically want the monitor to sit while I'm using it. I believe the monitors usually get wet as a result of them sitting down on a flat surface that ends up getting wet or getting pulled into the water on accident because it's not secured very well. I have a spot on the inside of my canopy that I can attach the monitor via velcro as well as a spot next to where I mix saltwater. I've never gotten mine wet, damp... etc.

Back