Cali Kid Corals

Plank Autofeeder

TheRealMadMax

Supporting Member
Anyone tried one of these yet? I picked one up to setup to provide plankton. Pretty well built and thoughtful design. Once I get it fully setup and running I’ll report back. I really like the idea of the mixing tube. I always wonder what portion of the auto feeder food goes straight to my fleece roller …

Attachments

• IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 60
Yeah quite a few of us have these. Mine has been running for over a year, several times per day. Lots of different foods. Really an excellent product.

You can also drop cubes/chunks of frozen into the top of the tube and walk away. It’ll thaw and drop down and get whisked away (if you set it up in front of a pump as I have).

Only downsides are that you need two outlets available and a controller to time the feedings.

Awesome! Can’t wait to get it setup. Given my sump flows to two display tanks I think I am going to install it in the last section right before the return pump. M

I have one. It works well but the caveats I have is it really needs to run multiple x a day and..keep it away from lights not to torch your food. Wonder if caveat number 1 would not be an issue if not for #2. Unfortunately it can’t move its location currently

If you go with sump -you may need a longer tube.

Overall I do like it a lot.

Oh definitely need a longer tube. I also bought a light cover for the tube since it would be right next to my sump lights. They also say to set it to the slowest release when using it in a sump configuration. Looking something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3217.jpeg
    IMG_3217.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 80
Oh definitely need a longer tube. I also bought a light cover for the tube since it would be right next to my sump lights. They also say to set it to the slowest release when using it in a sump configuration. Looking something like this.
I'm amazed by your plumbing.

Oh the plumbing was all Robert from Neptune. He did an amazing job. Here is the build thread

U need to see his tanks and the build journal
Man, I'm utterly speechless. All I can say I'd want construction to begin the same week if I ever win the lottery. I couldn't imagine anything that nice even in my dreams. It would be awesome if his tanks are on the list if tank tours become a reality.

Loving mine compared to the rolling drum style ones I've used previously (Eheim and Neptune) that are really hard to have dispense consistently and accurately. Plus the ability for different shaped foods.

I finally figured the timing for feeding freeze dried mysis on my seahorse tank, which tends to float a lot. The food is dispensed into the mixing tube, but the mixing pump waits for one hour before running to allow time for the freeze dried mysis to soak.

Just bought a second one for my my main display tank. My concern with having it in the sump area though is humidity getting into the food.

Man, I'm utterly speechless. All I can say I'd want construction to begin the same week if I ever win the lottery. I couldn't imagine anything that nice even in my dreams. It would be awesome if his tanks are on the list if tank tours become a reality.

Thanks! This system has been a really fun journey for sure. I would be happy to host a tank tour sometime. I’m only three years in so still have so much to learn, really fun being able to talk shop with others who share the passion. My kids and I would have been at the frag swap yesterday if it wasn’t for a previous commitment. I am in Los Gatos right off of 17 so timing wise we might want to look at the fall. On nice weekends 17 gets so messed up with half the Bay Area headed to the beach.

Back