Cali Kid Corals

Please help this Scoly

bluetang_2000

Supporting Member
Have this scoly for a while but it’s not doing so well, not sure if it’s just the bubble algae or something else too. Hopefully the fox face that I will be receiving tomorrow will take care of the bubble algae issue, but any suggestions to nurse this scoly back to healthy?

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpeg
    IMG_4693.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 57
Not sure what to do if the mouth died. Hope it recovers and regrows I guess? Might be worth some sort of dip after manually removing hair and bubble algae. Not sure what dip might be best or if that’s even a good idea

Is that algae growing in the center?
I was wondering that too. First step would be to figure out if that’s just a clump stuck in there, or if your Scoly is now donut shaped.

Hoping for the former, my next step would be to take the Scoly out and manually remove the bubble algae which is certainly irritating it. You could do a kfc or restor dip, but I would put it in a low light spot in the tank and just hope for the best once you’ve cleaned the algae.

If the center/mouth is dead it will be much tougher, but it’s still alive so there’s hope.

Since the mouth is gone, a riskier but possibly higher reward thing would be to manually remove the bubble algae and the mouth algae, inspect the interior, and then potentially do a hydrogen peroxide dip to kill any algae you missed.

Otherwise things look grim I'm sorry to say. But hopefully with the algae gone, it can close up and regrow internally.

What I woud do is probably do a peroxide dip so that will kill the algae. And than remove with a twizer the bubble algae.
Maybe you can also try to cut it through the middle. Careful with the flesh not to press it down.

I did an experiment with 4 of my scollys in the past. There was an article showing you can cut on the buttom of the scolly and another scolly can form. And I did it to all 4 but from only for one of it grew a new moth on the buttom of it. But I was gone for 3 months and it got covered in the bubble algae and it died.

Also read here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...ton-looking-for-first-hand-experience.703396/ maybe you get some tips.

To me it looks like it’s slowly dying/receding and the algae is just taking over the new real estate. You should remove the algae by hand as much as you can and see how it goes. Tweezers, toothbrush. Maybe peroxide dip. It’ll probably die, but it’s worth trying to save.

Back