Neptune Aquatics

Plumbing a UV filter

Hey bay reefers,

This is my first post here and I'm a very new reefer (3 months in).

I got an Aqua 40W UV that I purchased for my 200Gal tank (red sea 750 G2). The manual/site says I should push 1900 to 2900 GPH to achieve 30,000 µw/cm2 to 45,000 µw/cm respectively. I got a nautilus pump with a max of 3200 gph and a 2 inch apex flow sensor to check flow rates. What is the optimal way of plumbing all of it? The UV filter comes with 3/4 inch barbs that screw into a 2 inch adaptor, and the pump largest output is 1.5inch.
Should I plumb it all with soft plumbing within the sump? Any help or tips are appreciated!

Thanks,
Felipe

Hey bay reefers,

This is my first post here and I'm a very new reefer (3 months in).

I got an Aqua 40W UV that I purchased for my 200Gal tank (red sea 750 G2). The manual/site says I should push 1900 to 2900 GPH to achieve 30,000 µw/cm2 to 45,000 µw/cm respectively. I got a nautilus pump with a max of 3200 gph and a 2 inch apex flow sensor to check flow rates. What is the optimal way of plumbing all of it? The UV filter comes with 3/4 inch barbs that screw into a 2 inch adaptor, and the pump largest output is 1.5inch.
Should I plumb it all with soft plumbing within the sump? Any help or tips are appreciated!

Thanks,
Felipe

What are your goals with setting up a UV filter? Flow rate will depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

My main recommendation would be to make it easy to remove and service you can mess with flow rate once installed. So you can take it off the system once not needed, to replace to bulb after a year+-, etc. I find them useful for initial setup to manage the green water and dino booms. If this is the case just an open loop works great. Pull water from the sump and return it to the sump, or pull form the tank and return to the tank. No added head pressure, and somewhat temporary. Usually use your backup return pump, you know that pump that you purchased for the day the your main return pump dies and its late on a weekend with no one open., For disease I have never been too convinced their value in a home system. Eventually, in permanent installation, you will get lazy and not service it, the seals will leak, and you will get a pretty good shock :).

Sure that was gallons and not liters? Seems like too much flow to me
The aqua uv instructions are way off in my opinion. It does say gallons per hour.

Screenshot_20230511_062317.jpg

Back