got ethical husbandry?

plumbing help -- RO 1/4 line quick disconnect?

Pictures would help get an idea...

See the pic. All the plumbing is inside an exterior wall (insulated). The insulation will not make it easy to fish the line.

Again, original plan is to tee off the current RO filter under the sink, run the 1/4 line under the house, back up to the tank.

If i am brave enough to drill 1/4 hole through the cabinet, tile and then the wood floor, is the Cobalt drill bits the best tool for this job? My best guess is i need 12" drill to get to the bottom, due to the height of the cabinet. The measurement in the pic is just approximate. I am positive 12" drill should be enough.

Well if you ever need help I'm in San Jose and I'm a plumber. I'll message you my number.

I have reach out to Erik ( thanks erik). Hopefully when he have some free time, he can give me his recommendation.

Attachments

• drill.PNG
    drill.PNG
    72.5 KB · Views: 136
  • plumbing.PNG
    plumbing.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 134
See the pic. All the plumbing is inside an exterior wall (insulated). The insulation will not make it easy to fish the line.

Again, original plan is to tee off the current RO filter under the sink, run the 1/4 line under the house, back up to the tank.

If i am brave enough to drill 1/4 hole through the cabinet, tile and then the wood floor, is the Cobalt drill bits the best tool for this job? My best guess is i need 12" drill to get to the bottom, due to the height of the cabinet. The measurement in the pic is just approximate. I am positive 12" drill should be enough.

I have reach out to Erik ( thanks erik). Hopefully when he have some free time, he can give me his recommendation.

Can't you drill from underneath? Then you won't need the drill bit extension.

Can't you drill from underneath? Then you won't need the drill bit extension.

Pardon the mess in the cabinet. Regardless if you drill from top of bottom, i am estimating the distance btw the cabinet bottom (see pic for terminology) to the crawlspace is btw 6-12".

Does this make sense?

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 140
  • cabinet base.PNG
    cabinet base.PNG
    210.1 KB · Views: 135
Do you have a washing machine? You can hook up there too if that’s more convenient?
Might consider using a copper line under the house or putting the ro line inside a pvc conduit to prevent rodent issues.

I think everyone got it mixed up. I think i didn't explain it well. Sorry!

See the white thing under my sink? Its a 400gpd tankless RO. I want to tee off the RO output to the tank, running it through the crawspace.

I want to avoid getting a second RO unit due to space, as well as another point of failure (leaks). The tank is literally behind the laundry room (separated by a interior wall). I am already planning to run my drain to the laundry drain. I can easily run the RO source water, but this means i need another RO.

Its not all about saving $$ on the second RO. Its space (it have to be under the tank, as wife veto putting it in the laundry room) , and more importantly potential leak. If the old oak floor is damaged, its going to be expensive to replace.

I think I get it. And I’m suggesting you use the flexible 1/4” copper line instead of regular ro tubing for the part that will go under the house to the tank

Pardon the mess in the cabinet. Regardless if you drill from top of bottom, i am estimating the distance btw the cabinet bottom (see pic for terminology) to the crawlspace is btw 6-12".

Does this make sense?

For what you're trying to doing, yes. But i personally wouldn't go through the bottom of the cabinet. I would drill through the bottom plate of the exterior wall, run copper like (@Coral reefer suggested) in the exterior wall, and come out the back of the cabinet.

For what you're trying to doing, yes. But i personally wouldn't go through the bottom of the cabinet. I would drill through the bottom plate of the exterior wall, run copper like (@Coral reefer suggested) in the exterior wall, and come out the back of the cabinet.

I will hold off and wait if Eric can drop by and assess the situation, I don't think I'm capable of routing the line through the wall, copper or not. I know my capability. :)

Temporarily, i will just pull the line across the kitchen/living room. got the cam level disconnect you suggested.

I agree on drilling from the bottom up if there's enough space. Just measure the distance from the center of the drain to the drain/clean-out... But as you state, Eric will do a great job.

So here's the question I have... after going through RO, is there a concern to run the water through copper? Wouldn't that risk reintroducing contaminants back into the water?

After several trip under the house, i finally got the RO line run to the tank. Phew.. it was a very frustrating trying to fish the line. Anyhow it is all done. In the process, I may have bend the line (causing a small kink). It straighten out mostly. Not sure how much risk is there. Its a weak spot for sure. Arg.. its a long line, and i don't feel like doing another fishing expedition. Next week, i'll venture down there to do another inspection and will get a connector and a cutter. I'll have to decide if the current line is good enough or cut it and reconnect.

How reliable are those quick connect connector? Since this is under the house, i don;t able to detect small leak. Big leak is fine,as i'll lose pressure on the other end and i'll know. This tank line is NOT pressurized 24/7. I have a 3-way valve on the RO filter output, to either get water to the sink(almost all the time) or this line to the tank.

If you find yourself going back to the question of whether or not it is a big deal to disconnect and reconnect a JG fitting many many times, it isn’t. Just be careful each time. I do that for my Brute can I mix up water in and never had a problem for years.

Although the JG fittings are quite good I personally would not have one in my wall or somewhere else where I couldn’t tell it’s leaking right away. If you find the kink is a problem you can use the existing tubing to pull through the replacement tubing much easier than fishing over again.

Ok I’ll replace the line next weekend. Just ordered more tubing. Better safe then sorry.
The mistake I made was feeding the line from the top , then pulling it from the crawlspace then back up. I’ll push the line from the bottom to both end the next time.

Back