Kessil

Plumbing Woes

Help! Finally pay day is here and I bought my Syncra 3.5 pump. The return barbed coupling (threaded into the pump) is only 1/2 inch. My Marine Land 75 has slip fit 1" bulkheads. I've read it's a good idea to use flexible tubing for a short run from the pump to reduce noise. So I have the tubing and the two barbed fittings. Should I get a reducer for the bulkhead, or a coupling from the plastic tubing turning it from 1/2" to 1"? My run from the pump to the return bulkhead is only about 28" so there's very little resistance.

Maybe others can give a more experienced answer but I'm not so sure it matters much where the change in size occurs. Going from 1/2" to 1" is a pretty drastic difference. You'll still have the same gph but there won't be much pressure. I wonder if it's possible to use a 3/4" bulkhead. The flange on it may be large enough to cover the hole. I've never done this though so it would be a try at your own risk type deal. If you do try it, I'd recommend using silicone on the overflow side of the bulkhead.

Back