Our mission

Pointers - looking into 3D Printing

Is there any time that the PLA material would be preferred over PETG? I expected there to be a price discrepancy, but they are basically he same.

PLA is much easier to get good prints with (much more forgiving). Less hygroscopic so more likely that the end of the spool will print as well as the beginning. Besides the fact that it slowly degrades in water PLA otherwise has good material properties for most things. Also it is a bioplastic made from corn (biodegradable), which is nice. And since it is probably more common than all the other materials combined for casual 3D hobbyists, most of what you read online and most pre-made designs are optimized for it.

All that said, I’ve been using PETG more because most of what I’m printing is to be used in or around my tanks.

PLA is much easier to get good prints with (much more forgiving). Less hygroscopic so more likely that the end of the spool will print as well as the beginning. Besides the fact that it slowly degrades in water PLA otherwise has good material properties for most things. Also it is a bioplastic made from corn (biodegradable), which is nice. And since it is probably more common than all the other materials combined for casual 3D hobbyists, most of what you read online and most pre-made designs are optimized for it.

All that said, I’ve been using PETG more because most of what I’m printing is to be used in or around my tanks.
Makes sense, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, is it worth having spools of both on hand. Most of what I have planned. At least up front, is aquarium stuff. So maybe I'll just start with the petg.

That makes sense if you are confident about your ability to print things effectively, especially if you mainly are going to print things other people have designed and validated already. It isn’t as easy as it sounds sometimes, there’s a bit of trial/error/art to it. I have both, and if I’m having issues printing something in PETG sometimes I‘ll print it in PLA to exclude the potential issues unrelated to filament type. It’s only another $23 or so to have a spool of PLA, which will last a really long time if you are mostly printing PETG.

I've found that within the same brand/type, some colors print differently.

I use Simplify 3D.
Any particular features that contributed to the decision to pay for software? Thoughts on this vs something like Cura for someone that's just a newbie/hobbiest vs. someone that might be doing heavy 3D printing?

I tried Cura initially as well as the free software that the printer came with, which may be based on Cura as well. I found that S3D was easier to use and more intuitive for me. YMMV. I don't do a lot of 3D printing, but having the correct software made it easier to learn and less frustrating for me initially.

Finally set up the printer in a temporary spot (wife doesn't want it on the kitchen island permanently, go figure...) and ran my first print!
20201225_222525.jpg

A couple questions about creating models. Do you have to shell the 3d model? Or does the slicer have that capability? Also, does the slicer add supports when needed? Or does that have to be in the model? Using the cura slicer for now.

Finally set up the printer in a temporary spot (wife doesn't want it on the kitchen island permanently, go figure...) and ran my first print! View attachment 22813

A couple questions about creating models. Do you have to shell the 3d model? Or does the slicer have that capability? Also, does the slicer add supports when needed? Or does that have to be in the model? Using the cura slicer for now.

One question. Does it float?

Hi all,

Assembled the printer and ran our first test print with a benchy

1) The most obvious issue was a shift in the layer.

Reading online, it sounds like belt tension may be the cause, and the belt may have slipped. So, I’ve tightened the tension on the bed belt which was fairly loose.

2) there are some wispy strings coming off. Not sure if that’s typically or if it’s decent on this one.

3) definitely also saw more issues higher up on the print. Not sure if this is because there’s so much more detail up to vs the hull. It looked pretty good on the lower part of the print.

93d9bb43e086c6c2ea7d4076421a2d76.jpg

31a7f57fe1704757d7e2e2b2c18e9fc4.jpg

e72fcd367b5150ed0f3ee0b8faa50116.jpg

Finally set up the printer in a temporary spot (wife doesn't want it on the kitchen island permanently, go figure...) and ran my first print! View attachment 22813

For both of your questions, those are set in the slicer

Looks too much to me

Btw If you are in uncontrolled environment like garage, get a dry box for your filament instead of letting it exposed.

Yodelbox 302-3D Printer Filament Box - Spool Dispenser and Dry Storage Container Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DX1V6MY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Twv7FbER9GF4V

And some this

wisedry 50 Gram [6PACKS] Rechargeable Silica Gel Desiccant Packets Fast Reactivate Desiccant Bags Orange to Green indicating for Air Dryer Food Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781BN1BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_cxv7FbAMNJQBJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JVU
Looks too much to me

Btw If you are in uncontrolled environment like garage, get a dry box for your filament instead of letting it exposed.

Yodelbox 302-3D Printer Filament Box - Spool Dispenser and Dry Storage Container Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DX1V6MY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Twv7FbER9GF4V

And some this

wisedry 50 Gram [6PACKS] Rechargeable Silica Gel Desiccant Packets Fast Reactivate Desiccant Bags Orange to Green indicating for Air Dryer Food Grade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781BN1BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_cxv7FbAMNJQBJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm confused. Isn't retraction how much the filament is pulled back from the nozzle before a move? And stringing is the nozzle still oozing?

Back