Our mission

poll: use dual monitors, or one widescreen

So I'm currently using 2x19" monitors on my desktop. Main uses include programming, web development stuff, research/writing projects, photo editing, and just all around multitasking. This was great, as there's a nice windows prog called Ultramon that let's you hotkey tasks like moving a window from monitor1 to monitor2.

Recently I switched over to linux, and I love it. I'll keep dualbooting w/ winxp for my games, but for just about everything else I like Linux just a little better. The downside is that linux recognizes the dual monitors only as one large monitor. So there's nothing I can do to hotkey a window move (most useful part of ultramon). So between that, and me having a brand new 22" widescreen sitting in my closet, I'm really tempted to switch, but with no really good reason.

Specs:
19" planar's running off DVI inputs. (built in speakers but I don't use them)
Something like 16x16x2.5" (not counting the base) each.
Native res of 1280x1024

22" Widescreen Emprex LM2202
20x17x8 roughly
Native res of 1680x1050

So tell me what you guys think please!

Oh, and no I can't just add the 22" on along w/ the 2x19" and no, I don't want to do 22"+19"

I use dual 22's so don't ask me :lol:

next thing for me is two Wacom CINTIQ 21UX's with a 30" monitor above them :) I can dream :D

Haha, nice Gresham. Yeah, dreaming is nice but I can't even do that since I'm still in an apt and they "discourage" putting nails/screws into the wall here.

So would you rather use 2x22 or 1x30"?
cheesy.gif

1x 30". I don't like the split or the fact one is angled. I'll at least be getting one of those CINTIQ 21UX's in the next year though. I use a non screen one now and LOVe it :)

I use dual widescreens. The angle doesn't bug me since I use a seperate window/application/OS per monitor and don't split them.

I don't split them either, it's just the 2" gap caused by the screen edges ;) The only time they actaully are both used for the same program is for my palettes or my composites :)

My desk at work sucks for this set-up but I am designing a new desk to work far better :) I use a 22' and an upright 19" (full page) at home which is a lot easier at times then my dual 22's.

That's what I do- one or more apps per screen, but never stretching across both. But I got used to hotkeying from one monitor to the other, and if I can't do that, then the slight loss or real estate seems a fair price for no divider.

I'll tell you what. 22's are great for single monitors :) I got both my parents on 22's and my bet friend and his wide. I got a great deal a while back and I upgraded to better 22's I simply gave them my "old" ones :)

I use both. At work, I've got a 20" widescreen and a regular 20" (the regular 20" has great calibrations). It helps to multitask and for comparing spreadsheets and consolidations.

At home I use a Dell 2408WFP. If I had enough space for another one, I'd be rocking two of these suckers, but they take up quite a bit of space already on my cluttered desk.

I have the little brother to that (20")..great monitor accept when you turn it for full page :(

i do a lot of spatial mapping and programming, so the more monitors the better, so I'd say:

19"+22"+19" :)

just make sure you PSU can support an extra video card ;P

i use 24" widescreen at 1920 x 1200. You can have two full browsers open. I want to get a really small monitor as a secondary just to put stuff like Im windows, itunes, and outlook etc...

the 22" was only $100 after rebates on Black Saturday Phong :p

Montana- Heh, no space on my desk for that. And my PSU is ~6 years old already, and running too many things to begin with.

At work I use a 30" display for my linux box and a 20-something (22, maybe? not sure) display for my mac. I use synergy to control them both with one mouse/keyboard, so I can just go off the edge of the mac screen onto the linux screen. It's a great setup.

Multiple monitor support has always seemed to be much greater with MACs as opposed to PC's :(

Can you tell I'm on a PC and want to switch to a MAC. Oh my company would just love that. Another $5K for a computer and the same for new software :D

Back